Steering gearbox replacement

87 Eddie

I replaced my gearbox with one from Advanced Auto Parts. I bought the one that's for the sports suspension FE3 option. After installed my steering wheel is not straight anymore. Seemed like there was only one way of installing the pitman arm. Is this an issue with how it was installed or something wrong with the gearbox?

I had the car aligned right before installing the gearbox. I had replaced the steering shaft and all steering components, took it in for an alignment. When I got the car back I wasn't satisfied with the handling so decided to replace the gearbox. The old gearbox had play in it so I'm thinking the alignment was affected by it. I might need to take it in again.

When you take a vehicle in for an alignment always tell the tech (sales reps are idiots that don't have a clue) what the issues are you're having. If they find something they are required to tell you before getting the problems fixed if it's an extra charge. If the tech doesn't do the repairs then you need to do them before the alignment is done.