Steering Column

black84

How hard is it to fix my broken steering column? I've had the car for almost three years and have fixed everything, but that... Any part numbers or any suggestions where I can get this item (junk yard) is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Andy

You didn't say exactly what was wrong with your column but if it has play in the tilt joint it is a pretty easy fix if you have the right tools. There are four bolts that tend to work their way loose in the joint coupling. You will need a steering wheel puller, a lock plate removal tool and a pivot pin puller along with common had tools. The first two you can find a most auto parts stores but the pin puller might be a little harder to locate. If you have ever replaced a lock cylinder you are most of the way there. I'll assume you have and start there. On a column shift car it may a little more complicated but on a console car after the lock cylinder is out slide the housing cover forward enough to expose the pivot pins. Use the puller and once these are removed the spring pressure will move the parts enough to give you access to the four bolts. I don't remember if they are hex head or torx head but tighten them up and put it back together. The spring pressure will be tough but once you get the pivot pins back in you've got it made. Get the column together and your play should be gone. If you can't find a pin puller you might be able to reach two of the bolts which might be enough to make a difference. If you are not mechanically inclined then the dealer or a good mechanic/body shop should be able to do it for you in an hour or less.