Steering Column Rebuild Almost done

orion

I followed the instructions found here http://home.t-online.de/home/O_Scholz/steering.html and have fixed the tilt mechanism bolts, they were completely out of the mounting plate behind it. the column is all built up but im having trouble getting the spring to fit with the cancelling cam, locking plate, c-clip, cover, and steering wheel.
is this a difficult area to finish normally? do i need some kind of compression tool? it looks like the center of the column is too far down, with all the rest of the housing, blinker switch etc is too far up. it doesn't look like theres any way to fit the whole cancelling cam, locking plate with the spring underneith.

anyone have any experience with this?
thanks in advance

up untill the current state of the column, asthetically everything looks fine,

It sounds like you need a lock plate spring compressor. Generally you don't need the tool to remove the retaining ring, but on the install, the tool compresses the lock plate and spring so that you can re-insert the retaining ring.

These tools can be purchased for under $20, or they may be in a tool loaner program at one of the local parts stores.

thank you my man, is it possible to drive the car over there with the steering wheel on, without the lock plate and cancelling cam?

Pre 68 GM cars didn't have the lock plate but I am not sure if having it in secures any of the steering components. I would find a ride, better safe than sorry. IMO.