Steering Column play

bsdlinux

Just Another BLACK Car
Steering column has play ( up and down ) at tilt joint. Any ideas. All of my TRs have had tilt and I've never has problem with any of them before. It has gotten worse in the past year. Bugs the hell out of me .....:mad:

Yeah, all of my tilt wheel Buick's has had this problem. It is fixable, there are three external Torx bolts below the turn signal switch(only two are accessible without tearing the top half of the columns down) I have successfully removed those two bolts and placed Loctite on them and reinstalled, they never came back loose again. You will have to pull the steering wheel, remove the snap ring retaining the lock plate assembly and gently pull the turn signal switch and harness up (just a little) through the column to gain access to those two bolts tighten and your done.

Thanks for the info. Since I need to replace the turn signal cam and my cruise/wiper lever, it sounds like a good time to get those screws tight.

I figured it was something simple.

It must have been all of those WOT blast through the years tugging on that column ..LOL :biggrin: