Steering column locks & other security ideas...

Originally posted by tom h
Do any of you KNOW of ACTUAL thefts where the vehicle was dragged onto a flatbed, or is this another "urban legend"?

When I was "legally stealing" [repoing] cars, did it many times. Boots were not involved, but no problem if they were installed!

yea my uncle used to have to repo cars, and i rode around with my grandpa when i was in my early teens when he had to pick up cars that had been totaled (but alot were still driveable, so the owners did not want to give them up), all it takes is 10 minutes and a car, no matter where it is, will be gone with a flat bed. no one looks at you twice because you look like youre supposed to be there doing what youre doing..

on the steadfast issue it seems if they cant cut it off, they would have to break the internal locking mechanism, then know their way around the gm rats nest of wiring under the dash

solution?

make an aluminum or steel plate that prevents access under the dash completely..

Originally posted by tom h
Is the Steadfast collar intended to be "permanent", or is it held in place with a key lock?

It's "permanent" in the sense that you don't have to remove it when you start or stop the car, it has an integrated key lock (but you can use your original key). The "non-permanent" open up and come off the column.

How does an owner remove a Steadfast collar, if you need to replace the turn signal switch or something??

Drill/cut the pins out. I got an extra kit just in case I had to do that.

Is the Steadfast plastic coated or something, to prevent scratching of the steering column.

It's coated. I won't know about scratching until I take it off.

Ouch, that would not make a pretty sight .. can you imagine a car being dragged & winched onto a flatbed, with the front wheels turned and locked with a boot. Although I suppose they'd only have to jack up the front on some kind of dolly.

I won't go into detail, but it's no problem.

To do a "winch theft", wouldn't they first have to steal a towtruck? Just renting or buying a tow truck would make it too easy to trace down, assuming of course the cops have time to investigate. Unless it's some massive theft ring, they usually don't or won't.

If they are "pros"...the above doesn't apply. If it's a "theft ring" I can pretty much kiss my car goodbye...unless I have that instant tracking system...NOT LoJack.

Do any of you KNOW of ACTUAL thefts where the vehicle was dragged onto a flatbed, or is this another "urban legend"?

I worked for a Jollywood film company and when shooting was about to begin, if there were ANY vehicles that were blocking the filming area in the street (if they ignored the NO PARKING signs), they were dragged onto flatbeds or other special vehicles (you'd be surprised what you can do with a winch). I saw a Peterbuilt truck cab hauled away on bed that was used for 'MONSTER TRUCK' hauling when we were filming in downtown LA. These weren't thefts, but hey if the "pros" really want it, I imagine they can think up a way to get it.

If you want to see the steadfast guard let me know and maybe we can meet up when I'm down that way.

Steadfast Endorsement

The first time 'they' stole my TR, one of my buddies rebuilt the column with a cylinder locking mechanism on the part that rotates when you move the shifter, and a relay that blows the horn when you try to start the car. Kind of nerve racking until you get in the habit of disabling the horn blowing before you try to start it. This helped keep it from being stolen the second time i believe but still the second group broke the column. That is when the steadfast was installed on mine. I never leave anything in the interior, it all goes into the trunk or comes with me.

Rich

ok guys i dont know if you didnt read the first reply in this thread but i posted the link to the little page i made showing the steadfast.. scroll to the very top and click and you can see one without having to drive anywhere..