Steering column help

87' WE4 t-type

Some asshole broke into my car and ripped apart my steering column to try to steal my car, but there was no battery in it at the time, hahaha.

I am about to replace it tomorrow so i could all the help i could get. I have the puller tool and all the parts. Does anyone know where i can get step by step instructions?

And does anyone know how i can prevent this kind of theft for the future?

Are you going to replace the entire column or pull the wheel and try and repair the damage?

I have the tumbler and the plastic parts to fix the current problem but from the research i did buick put a ceramic cover over a switch that can bypass the key but it was broken so i am looking for something stronger.

And this is my first time fixing this kind of repair. so any tips would be helpful. thank you.

You may get into it and find there is too much damage to repair. Replace the entire column for a quick easy fix.

The cover over the column where the lever is that you pull to start the car is plastic. They probably broke the top off too to unlock the wheel. It's better to get another column. Time to invest in a Stedfast column cover or park in a garage.

When my car was stolen, I just replaced the entire column. The stock one was just a mess.

Having a donor unit allowed me to paint it, put in a nice new lock, and do some PM on the ignition switch.

should be easy enough to find a column: every G body used the same 4 columns (column or floor shift with or without tilt), but i think the levers on the Buick columns were fancier than what you'd get in a Monte Carlo so you'd have to swap those if that mattered to you..

When mine was stolen, I replaced the entire column also. The car I have now has a Stedfast column cover on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk