steel main caps

I don't think that stuff is really needed until very low 11's high 10's territory...

before the girdle came out all that people would do as an upgrade previously was the billet center main caps (#2 and #3). I know personnally of a few guys going low 10's with this. Also a few have gone 9's with them. Tuning is crucial when pushing the envelope to this level and plenty of fuel.

I would run stock caps and a girdle as that ties all the main caps together and prevents them from walking. If you want more strength do caps and a girdle.

If your engine is in good running condition I wouldn't touch it and just add a big turbo and push it carefully as it will last a long time. A friend of mine made 526rwhp/658rwtq with a stock factory longblock and TE-64/FMIC/50lb MSD's/LT1 valvesprings/stock ECM with LT1 MAF with Translator. 21* timing, 100 octane (with 2 gallons of 116), 29psi and TC locked.

I did caps and girdle on my motor getting finished with Total Seal rings and JE pistons. I plan on pushing this motor HARD (25psi+).

-GNX7

3 years, very low 11's and high 10's, stock caps, hundreds of passes.....no detonation, no problems.

DR