State issued replacement vin plate

1984 t-type

Murphy's Law
Do you think having a state issued replacement vin plate would affect the value of a turbo buick ? Supposedly the car was stolen at one point and was attempted to be retagged, state police recovered it and replaced the cowl vin and added one to the door jamb also. Going to look at the car later today, owner says he has documentation to support what was done and that the car has a clean title.

that is also called a "branded title" and DOES affect the value of the car,
from minimum of 25% to as much as 50% of the value.
unless its a super deal, I'd pass.

Everyone has their own take on salvage title TR's, but for me the important aspect is the car's history.

Over the years I have dealt with many stolen and recovered vehicles, and in the speciality car case, it really is not a big issue if documentation would available to provide exactly what happened.

A decent TR with history available will be a good value if the car is decent. I have seen many beat-up and run down turbo Buicks with good titles that should be parts cars, and are a nightmare as a reliable driver.

To us here in the desert, a salvage title car without rust is much more valuable than a vehicle from the rust belt!

Opinions can sometimes be of help, but you have the ultimate decision of how to spend your money and the many other factors you need to consider when purchasing a 30 year old vehicle. :)

that is also called a "branded title" and DOES affect the value of the car,
from minimum of 25% to as much as 50% of the value.
unless its a super deal, I'd pass.
I agree with cruzn57 100%.If you are not looking at the investment side of it go for it but do not give top dollar for it.

Everyone has their own take on salvage title TR's, but for me the important aspect is the car's history.

Over the years I have dealt with many stolen and recovered vehicles, and in the speciality car case, it really is not a big issue if documentation would available to provide exactly what happened.

A decent TR with history available will be a good value if the car is decent. I have seen many beat-up and run down turbo Buicks with good titles that should be parts cars, and are a nightmare as a reliable driver.

To us here in the desert, a salvage title car without rust is much more valuable than a vehicle from the rust belt!

Opinions can sometimes be of help, but you have the ultimate decision of how to spend your money and the many other factors you need to consider when purchasing a 30 year old vehicle. :)
You are correct sir..............................

I had a rebut titled 2010 subaru sti, car booked out for about 26k with a clean title, cause it was rebuilt Carmax valued it at 12.5 k and said if title was clean I would have left there with a check for 26k, so after my past dealing with title and history issues I would never buy a bad title car period.

Sorry to hear your mishap on the Subaru. As far as insurance would go for this car or any other classic car with a rebuilt title haggerty does not have a problem insuring them. And I have not seen the car or title in person yet but the seller claims it has a clean green title on it. Here in Michigan salvage titles are orange.

I had a rebut titled 2010 subaru sti, car booked out for about 26k with a clean title, cause it was rebuilt Carmax valued it at 12.5 k and said if title was clean I would have left there with a check for 26k, so after my past dealing with title and history issues I would never buy a bad title car period.

I do not want to be rude to you, but comparing a Subaru to a Turbo Regal is about as outlandish as it comes! :eek:

Here is a Limited with a salvage title because of an engine fire that I restored with a fresh engine, trans, wire harness and lots more including paint, and I am sure it will bring very close to existing market value.

Limited 1.jpg

image.jpg
Well I went and saw the car it has a few flaws but is every bit as nice as he said it was Still on the fence about the whole replacement vin but the story behind it makes sense and carfax confirms it, I have just never seen it before. Also as stated has a clean title not salvage or rebuilt.

You might be surprised how many salvaged cars are still out there with clean titles years ago body shops would buy salvage car and transfer the titles to other states and then buy the car back with a clean title reissued it was called washing the title with the Internet ,carfax and other resources it a lot harder to get scammed

Personally I would never pay top dollar for that car. But being as I am a fan of driving these cars as often as possible, I would be more then happy to take a TR as a driver with a re-issued VIN. If the seller is willing to take down at least 10% for the vin I see no issue even if you were looking to resell. Personally, I have my TR after years of searching and I'm never selling it, so I'm also less inclined to care about the value of it at all.

However, as hiboom mentioned above. The history of a reVinned car could be extremely murky. Try and verify original parts. I think there is a way to verify the engine and trans belong to that car as well if you have the old vin#.

I'm not looking to buy the car and resell it, this one will be a keeper. Just making sure I don't overpay but at the price we agreed on I'm more than happy. Car is going to the police station today for a vin check and if that's all good I'm buying it, if not I'll post the info on it here so no one else walks into a trap. Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

I'm not looking to buy the car and resell it, this one will be a keeper. Just making sure I don't overpay but at the price we agreed on I'm more than happy. Car is going to the police station today for a vin check and if that's all good I'm buying it, if not I'll post the info on it here so no one else walks into a trap. Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

Congrats! Dont forget to post some pics!

that car was reported as stolen - Date of loss: 2010-12-20
Cause of loss: Theft
it does have a "salvage title" does it affect the value? to me , yes,
but nowhere like a "totaled" vehicle would.
if your ok with it, then by all means buy it, but..........
you gotta post up pics so we can see it!

Title is not salvage, insurance company paid it off as a loss because it was stolen but then it was recovered and sold at auction with a clean title. I saw the title yesterday

Title is not salvage, insurance company paid it off as a loss because it was stolen but then it was recovered and sold at auction with a clean title. I saw the title yesterday

Here is what your insurance co and state motor vehicle will go by,
not arguing with you, just what the facts state.
GN TITLE CK.JPG

$40 dollars for a fu**ing car fax and they didn't show that. Oh well I guess, still gonna buy it but I really do appreciate your help thanks for posting that.

Yea im all over it. Now if was salvage due to a wreck that might be different. Thanks for that link, I'm gonna contact car fax about getting a refund.