Starts to spool fine, hits about 10psi, HUGE POP and dies out..

Adrian87

Not sure where to go from here..I swear I hope this thing runs right one of these days. FP is good, just installed new 340, fuel filter might need a change, don't know, but the car runs well, spools nicely up to 8-10psi or so that I've been able to hit, then a HUGE POP! like the intercooler hoses are blowing off or something and boost falls to 0, car still running fine but don't know what the problem is. I can't afford to pop a head gasket. Stock MAf, no codes. Plugs are less than a year old. TT chip and no cat. Getting a little KR on the Scanmaster, maybe 3-5, 02's are ok, not great but ok. Sometimes as low as 720, tried FP cranked higher and no help. 42 psi line off. This is all on 93. I did have some problems with my cam sensor a while back, ran it hard one morning, managed to break the little tab off the reluctor ring, got the kit from RJC and it's been fine since, althought it never fit to my liking. I had to grind on it and it just didn't seem like a smart fabrication, I'm wondering if it's moving around slightly under load/boost causing this issue. This literally just popped in my mind. Any ideas?

I had the same thig happen. It turned out to be a split in the intecooler hose. It was on the bottom and couldn't be seen but when the boost came up it forced it open and pow, no more boost. Ran fine under normal circumstances. Check em good.

Not sure where to go from here..I swear I hope this thing runs right one of these days. FP is good, just installed new 340, fuel filter might need a change, don't know, but the car runs well, spools nicely up to 8-10psi or so that I've been able to hit, then a HUGE POP! like the intercooler hoses are blowing off or something and boost falls to 0, car still running fine but don't know what the problem is. I can't afford to pop a head gasket. Stock MAf, no codes. Plugs are less than a year old. TT chip and no cat. Getting a little KR on the Scanmaster, maybe 3-5, 02's are ok, not great but ok. Sometimes as low as 720, tried FP cranked higher and no help. 42 psi line off. This is all on 93. I did have some problems with my cam sensor a while back, ran it hard one morning, managed to break the little tab off the reluctor ring, got the kit from RJC and it's been fine since, althought it never fit to my liking. I had to grind on it and it just didn't seem like a smart fabrication, I'm wondering if it's moving around slightly under load/boost causing this issue. This literally just popped in my mind. Any ideas?

usually problems like these when the car is under a load is the rsult of a bad coil pack and or ignition module.

Its usually coil pack, wires, or plugs. I had a plug that had an electrode burned part way off do the same thing. Start with the cheap stuff like the plugs. Mine were less than a year old when this happened.

Will do. What off the shelf plug do you recommend? Do they need to be gapped to run 18psi or so off 93? (hoping) Is the module in the coil pack? I'm not remembering that one right now, I think my pack should be good. Is there any way to test other than borrow someone else's? Also, who makes the best wires for these cars? I haven't replaced them since I've owned the car (about 5 years, different motors but same wires)

Agree on the coil pack. I just replaced mine for the same symptoms and the problem is now gone.

My coil pack read 8M ohm across the 3 and 6 terminals where it should read 10-12K ohm.

I haad the same problem when the alternator wasnt making enough voltage. It would run fine until you brought it up on boost, then it would backfire through the intake and stumble. Fixed the alternator and all was well.:cool:
Do you have a scan master? Thats how I figured out that it was a voltage problem.

I haad the same problem when the alternator wasnt making enough voltage. It would run fine until you brought it up on boost, then it would backfire through the intake and stumble. Fixed the alternator and all was well.:cool:
Do you have a scan master? Thats how I figured out that it was a voltage problem.

X2 I had the same problem plague me for over a year on two seperate engines....changed the alternator and life is good

I had a similar problem. Broken ground back of pass side head. Check your grounds carefully. Good luck

I always used a CR43TS I think it was. It was for a truck. Gapped at .035 but opinions vary. Coil pack may be it as they have all said but plugs are cheaper when chasing problems. Do a search for wires. There are alot of opinions.

X2 I had the same problem plague me for over a year on two seperate engines....changed the alternator and life is good

At what voltage were you encountering trouble?? Just curious because my car has a top end misfire that is fierce and im totally outta ideas on what will fix it.......

Here is another one to check. My motor was moving enough under load to short the header on the pass side to the starter wire which runs along the frame rail. Did the same thing, came up on boost then just fell on it's face.