Starting to gather info and need some help

Xamot

Hi all,
Well about a year ago, I started looking for a Regal. After a few false starts and one major let down later, I ended up buying an 85 Grand Prix. I later found a rust free t-top shell from a GP that was going to be the project. Well, the shell was stolen from the shed I had as storage. After making this discovery, my wife and I talked about it, and I have decided to begin looking for an 82 GN, or a clone of one. I love the look of the car, but not the stock performance of it. So I cam here looking for advice and direction from those who are far more wise in this area than myself. Any help on pricing, hunting and looking at thses cars would be very apprciated. I'm just starting out on this hunt and looking for more info than an actual car at this point. Thanks all and God bless
Mike

Good luck on finding an 82 GN. With less than 250 made you'll really need to look for one. As far as info try doing some reading over at www.beforeblack.net as well as GNTtype.org. Good sites with good info on them.:)

I gathered that, funny thing is about 4 or 5 years ago I saw one on autotrader and thought the guy was full of it. He said that's what he was told. Offered to sell me the "Fake GN" for $1800. I called him back after I called the bank and it was gone. That experience is why I said clone as well. I'm really expecting to find or end building a clone. But that means reproducing things and getting detailed photos, paint matching etc. If I end up going that route, I'l use a different year. I wouldn't want anyone thinking I was up to anything no good.

Do a lot of reading on the B4black site and it will give you a better idea of what to look for. They do pop up once in a while and I've got one waiting for a full frame off. My 83 T should've been easier than it is and since it's taking longer than I wanted the GN has to wait.:( Rich's site will help you determine what to look for and what not to look for. One of the biggest issues is the fact that all the 82's have T tops so unless it's spent it's entire life inside then you will have rust you have to deal with. My passenger floor needs to be replaces and I haven't taken the T top section apart yet to see what's needed there.:(

Oh yeah, I've spent alot of time on Rich's site. And personally, I wouldn't mind doing rust repair. I'm from Chicago and I've done rust repair on evry single old car I've had. Trust me, you haven't lived until you try and replace the rear frame rails on a 1985 Fiero. Anyway, there is enough aftermarket sheet metal that I would be okay with putting in new panels. Hell, I'd be okay if it didn't have anything but a shell with a dash in it. Interiors, motors, transmissions, I'm okay with all of that work. The project car that was stolen was just a T-Top shell with no doors. the only thing it had left was the tops and the dash. Besides, if the car I find isn't a number's matching car, I wouldn't feel bad about dropping a turbo 3.8 in it. Otherwise, I would roll with whatever is in the car.

Hey guys. Anyone know how to get through to b4black? I seem to be blocked from starting a conversation with him, and his link over on his site doesn't seem to work anymore. I have a few things I'd like to pull his ears, or his eyes in this case, about.

Hey guys. Anyone know how to get through to b4black? I seem to be blocked from starting a conversation with him, and his link over on his site doesn't seem to work anymore. I have a few things I'd like to pull his ears, or his eyes in this case, about.
Rich is a very private person and it took me a few years just to get his email. Post up and he usually shows up sooner or later.:)

Rich is a very private person and it took me a few years just to get his email. Post up and he usually shows up sooner or later.:)
Ah, okay I respect that. I'm just following a pattern that has worked well for me in the past. I wanted to buy a specific car, I found a site that was run by a person very dedicated to it. I contacted him and told him what I was looking for. Since his site came up in web searches in the the top 5 results, he recieved alot of messages from people trying to sell him that car in various states or disrepair. He and I spoke about the car and what I was looking for in one. A couple of months later he put me in contact with a guy who was selling one that was pretty much a basket case and I bought it. I was just thinking along those same lines with Rich.

I usually check this site every day when I am at a computer. I try to avoid private conversions becuase nobody learns from the them (knowledge sharing is the point of these boards)

I sometimes get e-mails from people selling cars. Just haven't had any latley. I'll certainly let you know if soemthing pops up. Ebay seems to be one of the best places to find them.

Hi Rich, thanks for popping in, and thanks for your offer to help in my search. I'll take one in just about any condition. I have access to motors, transmissions and replcement parts for the TRs, so even if it was a project that was headed to a boneyard, I'm good with that. I just scored a second job just for the purpose of finishing my GP / GTO build and I started a fund for the GN I hope to purchase soon. Thanks for all the research and work you put into this topic.