starting gremlin while cranking....cam sensor? Or something else?

hot air 84GN

Everything has been running fine, without problems. Noticed early in the spring, that sometimes when starting the car I have a problem. While cranking the starter, it stops and hesitates. Then continues to start. Almost like a weak battery. I charged the battery and now run a battery maintainer. So I don't think that is the problem. Scanmaster reads 12- 14v. So I briefly thought it may the starter. I have had it out before checked the terminals and re tightened. Which I am going to check again. A car friend mentioned it sounds like the timing is off or advanced. I immediately suspected the original cam sensor or cap, since I have replaced the coil, module, wiring leading to ignition, and crank sensor recently in the last few years. Could a faulty cam sensor or cap cause trouble when cranking?
I'm not positive of anything, because it runs fine after it finally starts. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

If the brushes inside the starter have lots of material left on them,
the starter also has a solenoid on it which switches the 12 volts to the starter motor.
Maybe the solenoid is going bad.

thanks, was just going to replace the starter. Its original, and would be a pretty affordable fix. Its a good place to start. I appreciate your help.