Starter Problem

sanderjc

Yesterday I went to start my Cutlass (N/A 3.8) and the starter continued to turn over after I turned the key off. I tryed to dissconnect the battery, but the starter drained it first. I charged the battery and the samething happened. I have seen similar posts, and it should be the starter, but the reason I question it being the starter is...it's 15 degrees outside and when I pushed the car into the garage and let it warm up some... it started with out a problem. I moved it back outside overnight and this morning it fired, but didn't start, then I tryed it again and the starter locked up once again draining the battery. The starter was replaced about 2 years ago.
Is it the starter or is the solenoid frozen?
How about fuel being cold etc...?

Thanks!

its probably the solennoid which is on the the starter. go to
your local auto junkyard and get another one.

It could also be your ignition switch at the base of your steering column. Although the position with the key may be moving back off the start position internally at the end of the rod it might be hanging up. The cold could be causing a problem with that switch also. I had a problem like that on my friends truck. I replaced that switch and that fixed it.

Just an idea.

Matthew