Stand Alone Traction Control Module

Racelogic in the UK makes a system that sounds interesting. Lots of parameters.

I've been reading up on his website. Looks like he is the guru of traction control. Dang expensive, though.

I spoke to him for a while at PRI this year. We were introduced by someone that knows we share a common interest other than racing:D details not available for that but anyway..........I had to ask him what made his worth the money compared to the XFI or other tc units out there.

Of course the self learning feature was a big part of it but the accuracy of the time measurement of the sensor was the biggest difference. His unit runs at a much faster speed so it measures milliseconds between magnets. The speed at which it runs allows alot more precise control of tire spin.

I spoke to him for a while at PRI this year. We were introduced by someone that knows we share a common interest other than racing:D details not available for that but anyway..........I had to ask him what made his worth the money compared to the XFI or other tc units out there.

Of course the self learning feature was a big part of it but the accuracy of the time measurement of the sensor was the biggest difference. His unit runs at a much faster speed so it measures milliseconds between magnets. The speed at which it runs allows alot more precise control of tire spin.
Yes. I gathered that from the information and articles I read on his website. I can't imagine a unit being any quicker reacting than his. Or, I can't imagine needing a unit any quicker reacting than his. Very impressive device.

I finished looking over the Racelogic unit and I'm wondering if the Racelogic TC unit would do well enough for a car in the 8s. Maybe the Davis unit would be overkill for my needs. Frankly, the price of the Davis unit is pushing me away from it.

It's hard to believe that there are not more TC units available. It seems to me it would be a very simple device to make in todays electronic environment.
Simple inputs, simple output. Why the heck do they cost so much?
Hmmm. I did have a lot of fun putting together the creep controller. :rolleyes:

I finished looking over the Racelogic unit and I'm wondering if the Racelogic TC unit would do well enough for a car in the 8s. Maybe the Davis unit would be overkill for my needs. Frankly, the price of the Davis unit is pushing me away from it.

I won't be giving that much for the Davis unit. Can't justify it myself either. He has some things coming in the future that has my interest though.

One thing about the tc boxes. They won't cure chassis issues, only save a pass where the tune-up for the current track conditions was missed. I'm no where near the point with my chassis that I need to be to harness the power the new engine can make so tc will be useless. Until I get my 60' 330' and 660' times where I know they need to be by correcting all the chassis issues, I have no interest in a tc box.

I won't be giving that much for the Davis unit. Can't justify it myself either. He has some things coming in the future that has my interest though.

One thing about the tc boxes. They won't cure chassis issues, only save a pass where the tune-up for the current track conditions was missed. I'm no where near the point with my chassis that I need to be to harness the power the new engine can make so tc will be useless. Until I get my 60' 330' and 660' times where I know they need to be by correcting all the chassis issues, I have no interest in a tc box.
I'm looking at the TCS as a safety device. I see too many cars going into the wall mainly because they didn't get out of the throttle quick enough. If a TC device can prevent the car from going into the wall just once, it justifies having the device on the car. Even if it's set to only come into the picture under an extreme tire slip situation.

Imagine a car making a pass ahead of you that misted the track with oil on the top end, but no one was aware that it happened. You then start your pass, and halfway through the run,... :eek:
I don't think any chassis setup would help out in that scenario.

edit: Plus, TC is a good thing to have when someone is going through setting up his/her chassis. It can safely show when a particular chassis adjustment isn't working.

This is how I see it working in my case.
The input would be a GM OEM hall effect speed sensor for a TH400 reading off the output shaft.
The module would have a programmable 'acceleration rate in relation to time' parameter.
If the set acceleration rate is surpassed, then a ramping 0-5 volt signal is sent to the TEC unit. The 0-5 volt rise rate would be programmable in the TC unit.
The TEC unit has a GPIO function that will retard the ignition timing on a ramp depending on a ramping 0-5 volt input. 0 volts = 0 retard, ramping to X amount of retard by 5 volts. The 'X' amount of timing retard is user programmable with the TEC unit.
As the ramping 0-5 volt signal from the TCU is ramping the ignition retard controlled by the TEC unit, the TCU will continue to monitor the driveshaft acceleration rate. When the rate falls below the trigger parameter, the 0-5 volt signal from the TCU to the TEC unit will reverse and begin ramping back to 0 volts.

This would be a most basic TC control strategy.

I'm looking at the TCS as a safety device. I see too many cars going into the wall mainly because they didn't get out of the throttle quick enough. If a TC device can prevent the car from going into the wall just once, it justifies having the device on the car. Even if it's set to only come into the picture under an extreme tire slip situation.

Imagine a car making a pass ahead of you that misted the track with oil on the top end, but no one was aware that it happened. You then start your pass, and halfway through the run,... :eek:
I don't think any chassis setup would help out in that scenario.

edit: Plus, TC is a good thing to have when someone is going through setting up his/her chassis. It can safely show when a particular chassis adjustment isn't working.

All valid points.

I agree with the fluid on the track example. As for the other. I see way to many crashes from the driver not lifting when they should have.

With the investment that's put into a serious race car these days, I think it's plain silly not to have even a most basic TCU just to protect the investment. Not to mention protecting the other driver, too.

Oh boy - Donnie's going to build his own TC. That should be an interesting 1000 page thread! (just kidding Donnie) :tongue:

I agree 100% about the safety aspect. I had considered adding it on my green car just for the safety however I'm not sure any TC unit can save a water leak, oil spill or just plain stupidity.