Stall speed

Jürgen2

Oversea Member
I wonder what stall speed is good for a street driven car.
I want a daily driver, so I need one that is not too bad for the gas mileage. How far can I go with the stall speed?
Is 2400 too high for a daily driver?

Thanks
Juergen S

In many cases, 2400 rpm can be an acceptable stall speed in a street car. However, stall speed is relative to engine output and many pertinent vehicle parameters must be considered, ie. engine configuration, transmission type, vehicle weight, tire size, rear gear, etc, etc.

Since we don't know anything about your vehicle, no-one can make any accurate recommendations.

Sorry, I forgot to post.
It´s a 72 Chevelle. 383 Stroker with th2004r and 3.73 rear axle ratio. Engine will have about 430hp.

Thanks for your answer.

Juergen S

OK.

The 200-4R gives you an advantage in that you can, and should, run a lock-up converter. This will allow for optimum gas mileage and keep your transmission temps down.

Depending on your cam specs, which really determines how much stall speed is optimum, you could opt for a loose 12" that would stall around 2500 or a tight 10" converter that would stall closer to 3000. If your advertised cam duration is more than 280°, the 10" will really compliment your vehicle.