Staggered rims

kels87gn

I think I'm set on reproduction factory wheels. I like the look of Budniks. I've looked at 17" and 18". Has anyone done 18" rear and 17" in front. Just curious and if there is any reason not to. Also if anyone has pictures that would be great to see what it looks like.

I have seen a guy or two with the budniks in 17s, 18s, and 20s post pics on this forum. The 20s are entirely too big for my taste, but 17s and 17s look pretty awesome

Theres a GN on here that has 18s all around. It looks great. One of the nicest...keep searching, and i will pozt the pic tonight when i get home. I have it saved somewhere

Here is the link to a really nice one that has 17in budniks on it. I saw this car posted somewhere on this forum before as well. Really awesome stance

You can run 18X9s on the front and 18x10s on the back. Just make sure the backspacing is correct.

I have done a ton of research on this and once I have the money together to do wheels tires and brakes that is the route I am going.

You can still get a MT ET street radial on the rear with that size wheel and get traction. Best of both worlds.

That's the look I was after right there. I was just wondering what 18" rear and 17 front would be like or would it just look dumb?

I would call CCW wheels and talk to them they are well versed in Buicks with bigger wheels.

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1440121140.539758.jpg

I've been running CCW 18x8 1/2 fronts and 18x10 rear for over ten years and never any issues . Feels great on the road . I recommend CCW.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

image.jpg
I had the budniks before, you could run 17" front and 18" rear but why not just keep them the same all around ? Are you trying to give the car a raked look ? Only pic I have on my phone.

Just wondering if anyone has done it and what it looked like. I don't think I like the look of 18's. The 17's look the best so far to me. The car in the earlier post with 17" budnik is what I'm going for but those are not cheap by any means.

PHILOSOPHICAL & PRAGMATIC RESPONSE

In a previous post you wondered if 17"-front/18"-rear would look 'dumb'.

Within reason, that's a personal call no one can make for you regardless of their opinion. Just like a guy's preference in women, I've seen some atrocious (to me) wheel styles/set-ups that other guys rave on about. But I won't openly judge their choice anymore than I would diss the looks of their girlfriend or wife - I'm not married to her and, if he's happy, all the better for everyone. It's a beauty/beholder thing.

That said, I humbly offer my small opinion.

For a few years now I've also considered this same set-up (17"F/18"R) on my '87 GN. From what I've seen, it's not a common application on most cars, Buick or otherwise; most seem to define 'staggered' as differing widths front-to-rear so the addition of differing heights would give your GN a unique talking point. Consider also the G-body profile: the rear wheels sit under both the trunk and a portion of the rear passenger compartment giving the car a 'thicker' feel in that section whereas the front wheels sit beneath the 'thinner' front end. Given these dimensions, an identically-sized wheel/tire combo (like from the factory) would tend to enlarge the appearance of the front rims while the thicker rear section would tend to minimize those. Increasing the rear diameter would serve to equalize these proportions. Its a subtle observation to be sure and a 1-inch difference at those dimensions is negligible. Depending on wheel widths and choice of rubber, it may not be noticed at a glance. But it would register subconsciously and, most important, you would know. As with the human body, stance is about symmetry. Your average Buick buyer in the '80s wouldn't care about this, only that he could easily rotate his tires all around and the spare would be of the same diameter. GM, too, had expense to think about so identical rolling stock would keep their bottom line in check.

Another VERY practical consideration: availability of rubber. I first researched a staggered look back when 16" & 17" tires were the pinnacle of performance. Not so today. 18"s, 19"s & 20"s are entry level from the factory and, arguably, tire suppliers are only going to carry what they can sell. 16" rubber in a variety of sizes is scarce now which makes me fear for 17" in the coming years. Therefore, I chose to research sites like TIRE RACK where I could plug in a specific number in their calculator and discover how many brands offered that size. The more brands that did, the safer I felt about its availability in the coming years. Based upon the tire's specs, I then chose my wheel widths accordingly. Admittedly, its a stunted way of going about things but I cannot afford buying another set of rollers just because proper shoes are no longer available for them.

What I settled on was 17x8"-front, 18x9.5-rear. However, when I finally do scrape together the cash to buy my wheels, of necessity those sizes may change again. Bottom line: do your research.

For what its worth, I hope the above helps in your endeavor. Be sure to post your final choice when you make the leap - we're all rooting for you, including my young daughter who gives you a thumbs up ; )

What tires & sizes are you running on front and back? looks good!

I'm running 255-40-18 up front and 295-45-18 on back .

I use to run 295-35-18 in the back a few years back . It had way better traction and handle like it was on performance rails!!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app