stageright trans brake

You're changing the shifter slider so that it goes into reverse and drive simultaneously. There are also a couple of balls that have to be moved around and a hole to drill. You activate it by putting the shifter in 1st and then shifting forward to launch. In order not to shift into neutral inadvertently, you need a new shifter gate with it from Gbodyparts.com.
The install is pretty hairy in my opinion and I'm an A&P. There is something disconcerting about all those tiny balls and springs and the constant dripping of fluid.

The trans brake holds the low/reverse clutch and the direct clutch in M1. Its an easy install and requires removing he vb and removing.replacing 2 valves and drilling out 2 holes in the plate. It will take someone about 2 hours on their back with hand tools to do it. I can do it in under 30 minutes on a lift. Te shifter gate is nice if your tans shifts at the rpm you need it to since it will stop the shifter in 3rd. The gate takes about 20 more minutes to install.

Hopefully you have some billet hard parts in that tranny or I wouldn’t even think about installing the trans. brake

my 86 had no billet parts , had hardened stator and drum which are considered the minimum for any 200-4r rebuild, launched off the stage brake over 600 times from 1.4 -1.5 60s (6-12psi) running with approx 600hp

as far as the shifter the original stage brakes (and the ones hoffer was selling in his trans) came with a modified shifter gate (check art carrs site, though he gets too much youll get the idea)
i didnt like the supplied gate because it was designed to bump off the brake and go directly to 3rd , this would cause short shift with the stock brf valvebody , instead I used a stock shifter gate and modified it so i could manually shift the 2-3 and 3-4 and used a clip on the selector gate to prevent from going to neutral on the 3-4 upshift

my 86 had no billet parts , had hardened stator and drum which are considered the minimum for any 200-4r rebuild, launched off the stage brake over 600 times from 1.4 -1.5 60s (6-12psi) running with approx 600hp

as far as the shifter the original stage brakes (and the ones hoffer was selling in his trans) came with a modified shifter gate (check art carrs site, though he gets too much youll get the idea)
i didnt like the supplied gate because it was designed to bump off the brake and go directly to 3rd , this would cause short shift with the stock brf valvebody , instead I used a stock shifter gate and modified it so i could manually shift the 2-3 and 3-4 and used a clip on the selector gate to prevent from going to neutral on the 3-4 upshift

pics of your gate...sounds interesting
-Dan