Stage 2 short block vs built stock short block.

I've got about $14500 in my 4.1 Stage II using CAT products K1 rods, J&E pistons. That's from intake to oil pan. It also includes used 4 bolt headers and turbo.

I've got about $14500 in my 4.1 Stage II using CAT products K1 rods, J&E pistons. That's from intake to oil pan. It also includes used 4 bolt headers and turbo.

I don't have that in my whole t/a engine?

Ta block 3900
ta heads 1700
ta rockers 850
ta intake 700
ta headers 1000
diamound pistons. 500
udes my old crank and rods

eagle crank 650
scatt rods 425

And thats having it built and dynoed

016 4.1 Stage II $1500
Cat crank $795
K1 rods $600
J&E pistons $775
TA heads ported $2700
TA rockers $500
TA cam billet cam/lifters $750
TA oil pump/cover $475
Champion race intake ported $850
TA balancer/flexplate $375
Balance assembly $200
Bearings/rings $375
Machine work $550
Assemble engine $650
RJC pan $225
Headgaskets $150
Water pump $35
Freeze plugs $20
TA 4 bolt headers $800
71GTQ turbo $550
Head stud kit $150
Stage motor oil pick-up $75
Injectors $300
70mm throttle body $250
Poly motor mounts $200
Valve covers $150
Dress up bolts/hardware $85
Intake and misc gaskets $50

$14185 and I'm sure there's more somewhere

Nice comprehension list. What size DP do you have on yours and about how much power are you making.

Why is it not a good Idea and what other issues?

No other issues. No leaks. A little grinding on one oil pump screw boss and a corner of the Duttweiler pump to clear the block face. If using the stock accessory bracket, that needs to be milled the same amount.

u didnt miss anything. he said STOCK short block rebuilt vs. a BUILT stage motor. are u gonna take ur STOCK parts for a 109 and put them in a stage motor? where did he say BUILT 109 short block to be installed in a SII block?

Actually he said "Built stock block vs SII" scroll up.

Milling .120 off isnt a good idea and there are other issues with it which will be found out when you fire it up and it leaks like sieve
Done many this way with no issues over the years. Please share what problem you had.

I'm running a stock timing cover on an on-center TA block with a Milodon geardrive. I had to shave the cover down like everyone is saying. It's been awhile so I don't recall what sort of problems I may have run into. If I did, they weren't too serious, I'm sure. The cover has been working fine for years.

there was a substantial price difference between the built 109 motor and a stage motor when i had them priced,alot more than 2000.

I'm running a stock timing cover on an on-center TA block with a Milodon geardrive. I had to shave the cover down like everyone is saying. It's been awhile so I don't recall what sort of problems I may have run into. If I did, they weren't too serious, I'm sure. The cover has been working fine for years.

I plan on doing the same. Hopefully I will be heading to Lonnies in a few days to cut the new one that just showed up.

u didnt miss anything. he said STOCK short block rebuilt vs. a BUILT stage motor. are u gonna take ur STOCK parts for a 109 and put them in a stage motor? where did he say BUILT 109 short block to be installed in a SII block?

The main point I was trying to convey in my opening sentence was that it was 109 block that I was thinking about rebuilding it. I said a stock short block rebuild just meaning a 109 block, just didn't list what the components of the 109 block rebuild would be, so stock short block rebuild didn't mean stock components. For instance I would get forged pistons, a billet roller cam, either billet main caps or girdle. My friend spent about $5k on his 109 rebuild, unless he was lying about the price, with similar components. I know a guy who had an on center stage 2 motor built and put it in a low mileage GN and because of the oil pressure being too low he took the motor out and put his stock motor back in. Now all that is left of the motor is the short block, which for some reason he had it rebuilt or freshened up as people often say, even though there was very few miles on. He is asking $7k for it. Now, if I were to have my 109 rebuilt with above said components adding machining and labor do you have an estimate on the cost? Lets say for the sake of argument it is $5k and there is a guy selling his SII short block for $7k, given my goals what should I do? Rebuild or buy? My intent was not to get on here and argue about whether or not there is a $2k price difference. You could have asked the question "do you mean a 109 block rebuilt with beefed up components or buy a built SII short block?", instead of telling me think again. But that is me. I have had my question answered. I could buy the SII short block, but to put the top on it would run some big bucks if I were to use the motor to its potential. Given my goals, I'll stick with a 109 block rebuild, when time comes. I bought a stock short block in 2010, it came from my friends car and was a running motor and he took everything but the heads and of course short block. In my engine the crank broke, 2 pistons shattered and rods bent, two main caps broke. One of the main caps sheared a chunk out of the block, therefore ruining it. He had another 109 block and used that for his eventual rebuild. Now I have no idea how many miles were on the motor my friend had bought it used, I do know it was dirty. I have no idea how much wear is on the block and that lead to me thinking of rebuild sometime in the future. I wasn't even looking to buy a SII. I think I got a little overexcited because I could buy one. It would be pretty cool to own it and have it under the hood, but at the end of the day it would makes no sense, for me, given that I will never race my car competitively, nor put a cage in it. Again that is just me, too me it is whatever makes people happy. So this whole thing was a knee jerk reaction to owning a SII motor and I thank everyone, I did gain a lot of information.