Stage 1, ta performace alum heads, blowing smoke and oil out of both breathers after fresh rebuild. less then 300 miles on engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As been suggested. Do a leakdown test. With is being broken in on a stand and then driven for 300 miles in theory the rings should be seated. How about the exhaust? Is that smoking? I have had issues with the rubber grommet to the breather not being open enough to relieve engine pressures but the issues were different than smoking. I run a PCV too so maybe the may help with the smoking.

I have no way of doing a leakdown test. I will run a compression test later on. warm her up take out the spark plugs disconnect fuel pump open throttle body. and crank each one. Pcv is intact and working its an original cv893c valve. so no garbage there. breathers have been replaced and the propper opening made in the bottom.

Why not let Dave Husek or Otto look into this for you, sometimes it's best to step back relax and let a professional handle it.

@no 86blackgn. no one told me about adjusting the rockers. and I shouldn't have to that. it should have been done at Steve's place. that alone should warrant HIM coming to pick up my car. If he put 500 miles on it which is wrong and I have every text sent and received I shouldn't have the clanging noise. my dad is 81 and deaf but can here the tapping LOUD AND CLEAR. He said something isn't right. so when you keep hearing this and you try telling an incompetent person over and over something is wrong and he tries to deflect and blame everyone eventually you have no other choice but to come forward and tell the story. Also the headers he had powder coated peeled and look like shit he wants me to CALL the guy and curse him out. NO he should make it right.

I have no way of doing a leakdown test. I will run a compression test later on. warm her up take out the spark plugs disconnect fuel pump open throttle body. and crank each one. Pcv is intact and working its an original cv893c valve. so no garbage there. breathers have been replaced and the propper opening made in the bottom.
A compression test is almost identical to a leak down test . You can get the setup from harbor fright for like $30 . You screw the hose in the spark plug hole and add air with the valves closed . And the gauge on the hose tells you the leak rate . It will give you a lot more info on the health of your motor plus it can tell you where it’s leaking from . You do a compression test and you still don’t know what’s leaking rings?valves?valve stem seals ? Definitely worth the $ to get the leak down tester

First off he made a simple mistake with the pickup tube and fixed it on his dime. That’s not the issue you posted about, your issue is now a oil leak and unknown diagnostics. So that is not relevant. Second is he is willing to look at it with you and has made that very clear. Last, I have had to readjust my rockers several times for the past 7 years of having a roller setup, that is not faulty maintenance, that is just part of the gig now. And yes I had to readjust mine after I put some miles on mine. That is not abnormal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sitting here at the airport, why not reply to a few comments:

Actually the pickup tube was not simple mistake, it was a stupid mistake. I tore the car down in Sept 2017, tossed the "S" style in recycle bin never gave it a second thought. But I figured out what I did and corrected it, more importantly I LEARNED from it. This past week on a hot air motor that's all over my pages I found a 109 pickup tube and it needed the "S" style. I verifed all that with measurement .

I told the truth and yup turned the crank .010/.010 the crank was not new BTW it had some miles on it. The rods did not get hurt, no bolts failed. They where resized which is pretty standard and even NIB rods sometimes need sizing.

Yes this is a 3.625 long rod stroker motor, and yes it was my 1st one. It was my 2nd stage and 1st Stage stroker. I did and do have access to some of the best in the business and not just RCG.

So yes I put the #1 rail support on upside down, in pinched the #1 ring pack and it would smell like burnt oil and smoke on decel--hence stage smoker.

Yes the heads where milled to correct port alignment issue because TA heads are taller than others. I called TA and they said you can cut them, we did. Port alignment issue handled- and yes Phil paid for that $100. I bolted his orginal M&A's back up prior , we discussed at length. He finally agreed to letting me machine them .025 on each side, custom cometic at .023 thickness. So really- you would not want that fixed?

There's a lot stuff in here that's not accurate, like 5 guys have had to have there engines redone after SVA did them. Ok, so who and where are these guys. Why did they not reach out to me and let me address the situation.

Notice I have not come on here and called names as some have done.

Phil- I am sitting at Richmond Airport waiting on a flight to Boston-I am on standby. If I miss that flight I am driving to Boston. Would you like me to stop by or meet you in a public place to look at the car? If so text me and I will keep you apprised of my loctaion.

And my last thought. You are not happy with the engine yet you overlook at the other work that was meticilously done and documented. Yes i burned the paint on RF fender lip, I called send pics touched it up etc. You did say the car was a driver and not perfect. But now it has swirls all over it? Do you remember when you where at my house and the cars was shining like diamond and the finish was rough? It was inside in AC and over spray was on the top from an engine I painted. Did I not redo that? Did I not give you the NOS 8 hole hoodpad on may wall as consilation for your troubles? Did I not replace the door locks that where perfectly fine, but you didn't like because the center was silver not black. Yes I did, I took of the door panels had to undo the dynamat and swap locks-Done. I also serviced the powermaster and PS fluid, no charge there either. Even when I was beyond frustrated with my inability to see what I had missed in your engine, I asked you several times do you just want me to about mission and ship this entire motor to Dave Husek? You said no I want you to fix it. When you where at my house and you where getting ready to leave, I was going to let you follow me out to route 10 so you would not get lost---I tried to give you back the last check for $4xxx.xx? until you where satisfied? I did do all of those things. I sincerly feel I did everything I could to deliver a car I would be proud to call my own. Yet no matter what I did you where never saitisfied and it was never good enough. So excately correct when I delivered a car that I put my personal stamp on you where happy. For a short while. Then it started again Phil is not satisfiable. My initial responce I think on the phone is maybe we can spilt shipping etc. I certainly changed my mind. It has vet to be prooven I did something wrong after the fact. You expect me to jump through hoops. You think pistons are the issue? Rings? really ? then leak it down, do a compression test. You don't think something else may not be going one, fuel injector spray pattern off, injector leaking down? Fouled plug? Oil saturated with gas?

Legally I am obligated to offer to fix it for you in a timely manner, instead of saying sure it will come to the front of the line getting it down here and then dragging it out, I was honest about the timeline. Shame on me for being honest out things. I am a 1 man shop, I have 2 bays. If I had 7 bays and a 50x100 building sure I could rip it right apart and get at it. I will say it again- YOU not me stopped communication in December. If you had pursued it it would be done or close to it. But 4 months pass and the nice weather hits and you are back demanding again. Yes honestly I did not want anything to do with you or that car again, however after advice I need to agree to take the car back and investiagate it with you present. The text/email/phone thing needs to be removed from the equation. That all I really have to say and yes I will still offer it look at it come up with a plan and put it into action.

For those wondering why it took a year here is a timeline and work list:

Sept 14th 2017 car received, engine and trans toredown both in rough shape. I will start digging through facebook to look at the pics after I post this.

I was working at RCG 3 days a week and 4 days here at SVA while SVA gained traction.

Fall/winter 2018 timeserts which did ask for where done, new caps, line bore hone, rebalance, all main and rod bearings fitted rod resized. Completed Early 2018.

Assembly started and completed March time frame. Eternal hold up on turbo from Dave. Get turbo car is togther Early April? And the rest is history, it took 2 months to get the crank turned. I made the trip to get in End of May. Engine was assembled installed and car ran in June 2018. Phil agrees to come inspect my work before delivery in early July 2018. He brings another convertor from Dave Husek since the one we have is not spooling the 6465. We drive and he is happy. He hangs around for 3 hours while I pull his trans and swap convertors and get progressively unhappy and has a list of things he wants me to address. Yes top of the list is oil smell. You guys know story on that.

Phil leaves, I mess around with some valve seals chasing my tail. Finally decide to pull and rering, rerung and same situation--yes I missed oil rail support-next take block to RCG and hone in Cv-616 see video in other thread or maybe it's above....bores are round, pistons mic 3.826 bore 3.830 new rings/run in same deal, still floundering at this point. The question of intake alignment comes up. I do some checking VS old M&A's yup that's an issue so egg on my face. I discuss with Phil he does not want his new heads milled. After a compromise of cutting .025 and .023 gaskets we argee to go forward.

So it's now time??? I lost count. Together run in same issue. Mind you I have done 2 other 6.350 strokers buy now and they are out in the wild. And Yes I was frustrated beyond belief and Phil was offered to get someone else to finish the project or engine -yes like Dave since he was supplies parts and billing Phil directly at that time. No he just wants it fixed by me and still has faith in me.

Finally I do find it and fix it and we are into Early Sept at that point. Car completed and delivered about mid Sept-Saturday of Cecil county event. Phil's says lifters are noisey car runs great and is happy. Then wait someone stole my horns thay are not there...so I take pics of a car and send to him. I explain they are unplugged because his alarm goes off everytime I touch it. Transport guy was made aware and di not relay message or plug back in...

List of work:

Overhaul Stage stroker, fix 6 bolt holes in block

Rebuild 200-4r

Body bushings

Redo fuel pumps/hotwire

Upper control arm bushings

Steering shaft

Heater core

New rad/dual fans/mod harness for dual fans

Complete AC redo

New headliner/sunvisors

Dew sweeps/window motors/dynamat doors

Window turbo/scanmaster G

Disassemble steering column/replace ignition switch/wiper switch/tighten 4 bolts

Detail engine bay

Install Engine and trans

New body filler front and rear

Install all new door locks(twice)

New NOS hoodpad- no charge

Service PM/PS systems

Shocks

Add resonator to RJC exhaust

Install heat shield on AC box

Swaybar bushings/end links

Install new hood emblems and intercooled on RF fender

Compound and wax/buff car complete

Replace trans cooler lines

Install huge trans cooler

I may have missed some things, however it's long list. And I turned out several other engines/trans , complete cars, and other misc repairs on buicks and other cars. So yes I am a ball of energy and rest very little. I also burnt the shit out of my face being stupid while running in the engine on one of the last go rounds.

That's all I have guys. No more replies needed.

Phil you know my offer or you are welcome to handle it legally

$2000 in machine work at RCG
$3581.00 to assemble and all parts
$1250.00 to R&R
Total $6831
add turbo? I left that off $1400
$8231.00

Phil i would take Steve up on his offer to come and have a look but also have a 3rd party there Dave or Otto then there is no he said she said. The 3rd party will tell the truth as who or what caused the problem, it will either clear you or Steve.

You are making this out like It is my fault? you wanted the job I even asked you if you cant do it I will scrap the whole project. Yes you did great work on all the other stuff. that I could have did but I gave you the business I am not a cheap guy. to come on here and say that I am demanding is very very disrespectful. I had to eat a TURBO because you blew up the motor. 2) I came on here and was very polite. I asked a few questions what did everyone think then I contacted you. NEVER mentioning your name. You sent me a lawyer written letter in Dec stating I needed to sign a document in order to move forward I told you I was having probems with the car. DO YOU THINK I WANT MY CAR TO BE RIPPED APART AGAIN.and you dismissed me promptly. SO I covered the car in the winter first few chances I had I took the car out. This is what was happening and I posted it. you blew it up mentioning peoples names and what not. Juan drove it julio licked it I dunno.

HOW IS ANY OF THIS MY FAULT??? tell me?

I will handle it MY way now. I rather have no one else involved it is embarrassing as it is. I DONT do this.

I will handle it MY way now. I rather have no one else involved it is embarrassing as it is. I DONT do this.

Steve has offered to look at it with you there physically present. He is in your area like now. Why wouldn’t you at least take him up on that offer? Things could possibly be resolved once and for all. You can also have a neutral party present there to confirm anything. Why not do it?

Dec 9, 2018 at 9:51 PM

Steve,

You are handling this all the wrong way, don't know where you are getting your info that this is an Indy motor. it is not. I got the block brand new from dave in 1995. This letter you sent me sounds like a lawyer wrote it. Well only there is a lot of stuff you failed to say. When you put the new pickup tube that wasn't correct it took out the bearings but also took out the turbo which I had to eat thus getting a new turbo from Bisonette, Because if you remember you said that the turbo is probably bad from the metal getting though it ruining the seal and causing the smoking issue. Then my $3000 crank had to be cut which I was not happy about but ok. It is a 500hp motor maybe nothing special. it has all the same sensors and setup as a production block except that it is beefier. Dave should not have to readjust my rockers. And yes you told me to go to Chris from CK performance and ask him what he thinks. I didn't because I didn't want to get other people involved. I do things like a man I don't need anyone fighting my battles. You got Dave involved I did not. But he told you what worked and you listened finally and we got the bearing issue resolved. Look at the video that I sent you after I got the car back the first thing you said was RINGS AND PISTONS that should be incorporated with every build that you do why wasn't it done? after all you have had the car 1 YEAR. And I wasn't nickel and diming on anything. The video was sent on oct 30, 2018. at 1205 pm. Now all of a sudden you want me to sign a legal document? it is a little late for that don't you think. Do you want to sign a legal document stating that you burned my pain on the car? or how you forgot to tighten the struts? oh and if you would have looked at the struts you can see you bent the crap out of the ears where it bolts to the lower control arm. of course its easy to talk a big game once the car is out of your hair and I am 400 miles away. I can write all day. I have the first text you sent me assuring me that there will be no leaks. remember one thing what ever happened to the customer is always right? you are playing the victim. I spent close to 30k with you. This was a different build and should have been handled that way. it wasn't. Yes you did a lot of great work and kept me up to date. but doing this is not right.

Wow, what a fuckin train wreck this turned out to be......and I thought my situation with dirty dirt bag Nick Micale was bad. Though I will say this, at least Steve V. owned his mistakes and is "tryin" to work things out. Gotta give points for that.

IMO, if I were him (Steve V), I would fix the shit.....I'd make it right.....some how, some way. That's not me takin side, because frankly, I don't know either one of the mofos. That's just me and how my mind works!

Motor needs to be torn down and started over. That's a lotta smoke coming from the breathers.....and only 300 miles......

would you bring your car back after that? and only reason he is saying bring my car back is because I had to come and post on here. He wanted nothing to do with me. His exact words were why did you go to a shop 800 miles away. SMFH

would you bring your car back after that? and only reason he is saying bring my car back is because I had to come and post on here. He wanted nothing to do with me. His exact words were why did you go to a shop 800 miles away. SMFH

Either have him look at it while he’s local or take it to someone else then post a actual diagnostics. But more trash talk isn’t getting this post anywhere nor resolving the issue you are having with the car. How would you feel if it turns out it was something simple that just happens after all this trash talking and bashing of a good guy. Have a professional look at your car, stop the madness.

bad ass motors usually equals bad ass problems
I just stick with my stock nylon timing gear so it goes first before a rod or something else
:LOL::LOL:

hope you get it fixed GL

Phil if you are smart stop the bleeding and get someone who knows these motors to have a look and either pull it or fix it. I cannot see any simple fix if the blow bye is that bad, also Chris at twisted 6 is an excellent option.

Status
Not open for further replies.