Stage 1, ta performace alum heads, blowing smoke and oil out of both breathers after fresh rebuild. less then 300 miles on engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no way it's a breather issue with the amount of smoke coming out of these breathers. Do a leak down and compression test and report back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

False - It could be either saturated oil on the breather filter burning or bc it was in the low 40s....probably the same type of day everyone’s exhaust looks like it’s smoking because of a difference in temperature, or there is a restriction in the pcv system or the pcv valve is trash. Simple stuff first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

False - It could be either saturated oil on the breather filter burning or bc it was in the low 40s....probably the same type of day everyone’s exhaust looks like it’s smoking because of a difference in temperature, or there is a restriction in the pcv system or the pcv valve is trash. Simple stuff first.

I'm not going to go back and forth with you on this. I have had the same breathers and it gets single digits here and up to 110 here and I have never seen smoke like that out of them. I no longer run those breathers but still. As for burning how is oil burning. As for PVC going to say the same and if I recall right he changed that with a rjc and same shit. And none of my cars run a PCV. I bet if he caps one breather off and put his hand over the other hole he will have pressure coming out.

Simple stuff would to be a leak down and compression as that cost nothing.

Anyways good luck to the OP

Black86Gn Steve led me down that path. It’s like a dog chasing his tail. Do this do that. The motor is running terrible he new that when it left he new that when I busted my ass to go down there. I don’t know anyone on this forum. I never seen a guy have his ball sack on the guys chin it’s incredible.

Our documented text about oil leaks on these cars...and my stance as a builder.

Oil seeps will turn into leaks. The more WOT time the engine sees the worse it will get.

A steady drip like is not acceptable, but anything else is para for the course with 30 year old technology. I done several that leak very little, but they all leak at some point.
WHEN YOU WERE LOOKING FOR MY Buisness it was a totally different story.

I'm not going to go back and forth with you on this. I have had the same breathers and it gets single digits here and up to 110 here and I have never seen smoke like that out of them. I no longer run those breathers but still. As for burning how is oil burning. As for PVC going to say the same and if I recall right he changed that with a rjc and same shit. And none of my cars run a PCV. I bet if he caps one breather off and put his hand over the other hole he will have pressure coming out.

Simple stuff would to be a leak down and compression as that cost nothing.

Anyways good luck to the OP

Thanks because I don’t want to go back and forth either but I have a few things.....I was saying mine did the same thing with those style breathers, especially on the passenger side because one of the rockers was directly under the breather tube slinging oil up. Every turbo Buick isn’t the same, some may not have this issue some will. Same thing with the pcv....some people have good luck with plugging it, others don’t. Phil would have to take it somewhere to get leak down and compression test....I agree that is the best place to start but not so free or simple for him. But either way it doesn’t matter because the diagnostics should have been checked before bashing someone for not building the engine right when It could be something basic causing the issue.

Thanks because I don’t want to go back and forth either but I have a few things.....I was saying mine did the same thing with those style breathers, especially on the passenger side because one of the rockers was directly under the breather tube slinging oil up. Every turbo Buick isn’t the same, some may not have this issue some will. Same thing with the pcv....some people have good luck with plugging it, others don’t. Phil would have to take it somewhere to get leak down and compression test....I agree that is the best place to start but not so free or simple for him. But either way it doesn’t matter because the diagnostics should have been checked before bashing someone for not building the engine right when It could be something basic causing the issue.

Agree

Getdowngranny you obviously need a nap you seem to be 6 pack short of a dozen if you cannot see what Phil is going through and who caused the problems. He is not asking for a favour he paid hard earned cash to have a job done which was done piss poorly. The builder has admitted to 2 previous issues, have you heard the phrase 3 strikes and you are out. Steve is out and should have someone else look into it and do the right thing.

Have you not read my posts correctly? We need to figure out what the issue is before assigning any blame to anyone or anything. That is my point. If the builder messed something up then the builder needs to rectify the issue. However, we are all still speculating what the issue is before actually troubleshooting the issue.

A proper leak down test must be performed as well as other troubleshooting steps in order to properly diagnose THE CURRENT ISSUE!!!!!

Once the issue is determined then we can start assigning blame.

Till then, all we have is vague description OF THE CURRENT ISSUE!!!!!

Reading comprehension my friend. It’s a lost art.

Black86Gn Steve led me down that path. It’s like a dog chasing his tail. Do this do that. The motor is running terrible he new that when it left he new that when I busted my ass to go down there. I don’t know anyone on this forum. I never seen a guy have his ball sack on the guys chin it’s incredible.

I was there right before the car left, it had zero issues and ran great. I feel like your at the point where you just want to blame him no matter what....dude, it could be something simple. Check the simple stuff first, especially before calling someone out....do your homework first at least....besides, these cars are not like new vehicles....there is always something with them, it is the nature of the beast. It sat over the winter....mine did too and I had to wrench on it after I drove it the first time this spring, a few little things that could have become big problems.

He BLEW UP MY MOTOR. The same exact thing was happening when I went there. I don’t care what you saw my car has been sitting since I got it back. He made it clear that he did not want it back. He is playing he good cop bad cop that’s why he sent me an email saying keep text between us. 5 times motor was in and out. Still not right rockers still need to be adjusted that should already have been during the 300 miles he put on the car. You think I want to bring my car back to that?

He BLEW UP MY MOTOR. The same exact thing was happening when I went there. I don’t care what you saw my car has been sitting since I got it back. He made it clear that he did not want it back. He is playing he good cop bad cop that’s why he sent me an email saying keep text between us. 5 times motor was in and out. Still not right rockers still need to be adjusted that should already have been during the 300 miles he put on the car. You think I want to bring my car back to that?
Can we please figure out what the current issue is first?

How do you know that the lifters need to be adjusted? Have you done a compression or leak down test?

If you are going some by “the sound” of the lifters, that is not a way to come to the conclusion that they need to be adjusted. Your motor has roller lifters and roller rockers. It will be noisy. Some cars more than others.

Let’s just properly diagnose these issues before coming to any assumptions or conclusions.

First off he made a simple mistake with the pickup tube and fixed it on his dime. That’s not the issue you posted about, your issue is now a oil leak and unknown diagnostics. So that is not relevant. Second is he is willing to look at it with you and has made that very clear. Last, I have had to readjust my rockers several times for the past 7 years of having a roller setup, that is not faulty maintenance, that is just part of the gig now. And yes I had to readjust mine after I put some miles on mine. That is not abnormal.

First off he made a simple mistake with the pickup tube and fixed it on his dime. That’s not the issue you posted about, your issue is now a oil leak and unknown diagnostics. So that is not relevant. Second is he is willing to look at it with you and has made that very clear. Last, I have had to readjust my rockers several times for the past 7 years of having a roller setup, that is not faulty maintenance, that is just part of the gig now. And yes I had to readjust mine after I put some miles on mine. That is not abnormal.

I see we’re he said he wants to help but now the original poster has to wait until possibly 2020 before he can get to it.
IF it’s the builders fault that is understandable, but if it’f Found to be a problem created by the build making the guy wait maybe a year just to get to it is unacceptable in my book.
It sounds like Dave Husek may be working on it now. If not I would be glad to look at it for the OP and help figure out where the problem lies.

Can we please figure out what the current issue is first?

How do you know that the lifters need to be adjusted? Have you done a compression or leak down test?

If you are going some by “the sound” of the lifters, that is not a way to come to the conclusion that they need to be adjusted. Your motor has roller lifters and roller rockers. It will be noisy. Some cars more than others.

Let’s just properly diagnose these issues before coming to any assumptions or conclusions.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkSteve V's Automotive <stevevautomotive@gmail.com>
To:
TurboL15@yahoo.com

IS this what a reputable builder sends someone after taking all his money? this was dec 9. 2018, I got my car back on sept 17 2018.

Dec 9, 2018 at 2:51 PM

Phil,

I returned you phone call Friday at 11:20 AM.

I will be happy to look at your car and make a diagnosis on the current situation. It requires you bringing it to me however you choose. I would prefer that you are present and you demonstrate the issue(s) it is having. This eliminates any miscommunication and misunderstanding of the situation. After diagnosis is made will will discuss and agree of the next course of action. Going forward it will be considered a legal contract and will require a signature.

I built a stage 1 non production block, it started it's life in an Indy Lights race car. It is full of aftermarket race parts, it has race bearings, race clearances, race ring gaps, fully ported aluminum heads, big turbo, big fuel pumps, aftermarket intercooler, aftermarket plenum, ported intake, ported throttle body, stall in the transmission, no EGR provisions, no cat convertor. It not street legal in Virginia and probably not in NY as well. You have a race car you are driving on the street with pump gas only.

A turbo buick is a very tempermental automobile from the word go. Now with all the added goodies you have a vehicle that requires constant attention and adjustments. The car left here tuned and running great, videos posted all over the internet. It was not leaking oil, not smoking and started and ran just fine. I have the texts when you are asking about oil leaks saying " I don't want any leaks I will definately lose my mind". My reply was "It's gonna leak, they all do. Starts slowly and gets worse with age and WOT throttle time". Your reply was "OMG". Lol I really hate oil leaking nothing can be done to stop it?" I stated "30 year old technology, I do he best I can. It is what it is. Your reply "ok". I will also add that this block once had a girdle on it and it was machined from it's original oil pan rail surface. That may or may not contribute to any oil leaks.

There was no "BS" on this job. Yes I installed the wrong oil pickup tube and ruined the bearings and crank. I covered the entire expense and kept you in the loop and was 100% transparant the entire way. You where charged $3581 to assemble/blueprint/provide all parts. You where charged $2000 for machine work at RCG which included 12 crooked head bolts that required milling the deck on both sides and drilling/tapping/installing timeserts, all rebalancing, rod resizing, line bore/line hone. I charged $1250 to remove and replace the engine and do all engine related work under the hood. Grand total of $6831 including installation and tuning. The rest of the work was not engine related and far from a "premium". My prices are very fair for quality received. People come to Steve V's Automotive for quality not price nor turn around time.

On the final go round I installed a second set of black door locks in both doors, my personal hood liner off my wall, adjusted gaps on air damns, I gave you a nice washer bottle to replace your yellowed one, flushed the brake fluid. You never got an invoice for the parts or labor on any of this. Yes you sent a check to cover the final machine shop expense and over paid. That hood liner alone is worth $600-$800 I gave it to you because I felt terrible about the way things went.

I know on a personal note I have went above and beyond to make your car the best it could be. You are welcome to ask my wife(and others) how my sleep/stress/anxiety that project caused me. You are welcome to reach out to my other customer Jose, he was here and filming when I made the hits in your car. The bottom line here is I did do my very best, and anything that I knew about I covered 100%. I admitted messing up the 1st build, I honored all the labor from that point forward. I ate a lot of money in gaskets/rings/fluids/machine work/travel and hotel. I paid for all the machine work when we honed the block(plateau) decked it and decked the heads. I am not really sure of anything else I could have done to make the situation easier for you my customer.

You brought me a Stage Motor and one I was certainly not familier with like I am a 109 motor. And it showed from the oil pickup tube, to clearances, and oil rings. I learned by OTJ training and at my expense.

I am willing to look at the car and work with you.

I will not have anyone tell me how I will run my business. I do things in a timely manner with pride and ethics at a fair price. There's a pretty good account of that on social media and the forum. I don't have unsatisfied customers running around like a lot of these Buick shops do. Lots of peoples projects sit at shops for 2-3 years at a time with no progress on the build, no timely updates, no communication, billing customers for their mistakes and certainly no videos, picture post and documentation like Steve V's Automotive does.

That's all I have to say at this point,

Steve Vaillancourt

Steve V's Automotive LLC

Reply, Reply All or Forward
Send

Settings

Steve V's Automotive

stevevautomotive@gmail.com
(757) 560-2782

From the video i see blow bye will means crank case pressure, that is not normal with a well built motor . I have had many stock block built, stage2 motors and NON ever had that blow bye. I could take the breathers off and never see smoke like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.