SSM South Side Machine Lift Bars

wh1-Denver

Does anyone know if the Southside Machine Lifts Bars (Summit Part # SSM-1328) are any good?:confused:

My build is intended to be 90% street 10%strip.
I am going to install the Hotchkis coil springs ((Summit part #HSS-1902) they drop the car 1" from stock) and KYB gas adjust shocks.

I currently have 16" Enkie/GNX rims with 255/50/16 BFG Drag Radials but plan to go to Weld Prostars with 275 or 295 15" Nittos Drag radials :D

It seems that they work but they force the weakest link, the frame brackets to, fail.
I have seen weld in braces for th brackets some where but cant remember where.
:confused:

1ARUNEM,
How long have you used them? Did you have the braces welded into your frame?

Found them.

http://www.hrpartsnstuff.com/

Frame Braces for '84-'87 Buick TR's
These are braces (Part #0250) that were designed to reinforce the stock mounting brackets where the lower control arms mount to the frame. These help reinforce and keep the brackets from bending or being ripped out under high HP applications. When a car is launched, the lower control arms are actually lifting the car by this bracket as the weight transfers. A few people have reported that they have experienced the lower control arms going through the floor boards when launching! These should only be needed on higher HP cars that drag race with slicks and/or launch hard. A pair (one each side) will work great on most cars with approx. 1.50 60 ft. time and above. With harder launches and 60 ft. times lower than that, we recommend our Heavy Duty kit (#0251) for added strength. These are a weld in application between the frame and bracket, where the front of the lower control arm bolts in place. They are laser cut for a precise fit and for easy installation.
The frame and bracket may need cleaned off before welding them into place. Extra care should be taken around any fuel lines, wires, or other things that might be effected while welding. It could be welded in completely or just stitch welded, either method is acceptable. Detailed instructions and a picture showing the installation location will be included. Think of these as a very inexpensive insurance policy so that your car doesn't get torn up.

They worked great on my car. Just make sure you set pinion angle. I also welded mine for strength.:cool:

I used them for over a year. Probably about 100-125 track passes.. Not the fastest car in the world. 60ft times averaging 1.65-1.68..
The front brackets were not welded but the rear SSM brackets were bolted and welded to the stock mounting bracket.

HTH..

I would suggest using lower control arms with polyurethane bushings at both mounting points, especially for a car that will see 90% street use as you've stated. The poly bushing offers many advantages over the steel bushings used in the SSM bar, including the preservation of the frame mounting points (no bolt hole elongation or frame bracket damage) and dramatically reduced road noise and vibration.

Hey BuickTR,

How on earth did you set the pinion angle? We put a set of SSM's on my son's MCSS and once installed, they couldn't be budged! They went in easy enough, but after installing the bolts, we tried jacking down on the pinion nose with a bottle jack from the chassis to the top of the pinion, and it wasn't gonna move! Luckily, the pinion angle happened to be reasonable as it was. Just curious as to how much movement there should have been.

Later,

S10xGN

I also had a little hard time pushing the pinion nose down, but I did it. I used a small jack of my Mustang (upside down) chassis to pinion nose. I set my pinion angle to 4 1/2.:cool:

Malibu Build

I am looking at buying an 8.5 Grand National rear end can anybody tell me how to tell if it is a real Grand National 8.5 rear end? I am building a 78 Malibu with a 454 and was told that was best rear end for the money.

I am looking at buying an 8.5 Grand National rear end can anybody tell me how to tell if it is a real Grand National 8.5 rear end? I am building a 78 Malibu with a 454 and was told that was best rear end for the money.

Damn this is an old post from like 8 yrs. ago. But to answer your question look here...

rears.jpg

Damn this is an old post from like 8 yrs. ago. But to answer your question look here...

rears.jpg

I wish I had this before I went junkyard searching. I was told any big GM car from that generation will have an 8.5...Boy were they wrong, luckly im also a scraper and 7.5's are heavy:D:D