SRT-8 Charger...

A year ago my GN with only a GT3255A, stock fuel system and stockish exhaust pulled on my SRT-8 from a roll. I was driving my SRT and my buddy in my GN. My SRT WILL NOT hook at a stoplight. My SRT has exhaust, Programmer, CAI (which does nothing for it), and High Flow cats.

I really like my Charger, it has 4 doors (i have kids), super comfy but it is a 4200lb tank :(

Slapping on a blower would only allow for 6 lbs boost (without destroying a piston) but not cost effective for the 100 hp it gives in my opinion.

Another guy near me with the same mods was running mid 12s last year in Baytown...

Your GN should take it from a slow roll or at a light if you can hook...

Good Luck!

Slapping on a blower would only allow for 6 lbs boost (without destroying a piston) but not cost effective for the 100 hp it gives in my opinion.
I hear that. It's a lot of money for 100 extra hp and the pistons would likely need to be upgraded. Not sure if its worth it but im thinken about it.

That's suprising. I would have thought it would have been a closer race. They have serious low end torque but without some sort of DR it will simply spin the tires.

I know with Otto's Mercedes E55 it too has great low end torque and is a blast to drive. His put if I remember correctly about 425 to the wheels on the dyno.

I am entertaining putting a blower on my 09 5.7 and was told the Procharger is the better choice vs. a twin screw for example due to low end torque and simply frying the tires. That should put me around 425-440 to the wheels im told. I guess the Procharger is better suited for mid to top end power which is where these cars shine without the risk of blowing the tires away.

Im still thinken Whipple tho for some reason or even KB but I just cant stand that loud whine. The Whipple seems to be a little quieter but the Procharger might not be too annoying either tho. Atleast the newer ones that is.

One thing for sure is the Charger rides very smooth and handles and brakes in ways most TR's could never dream of so for a DD it gets the job done.

When we took off i hooked good and i heared him spin i agree i thought it would have been closer as well so it shocked me when i looked in the rear view and he was so far back, i let out of it at 90 since it was a 55 zone

Heres my vid of beating one up. It had slicks and sounded very healthy.

YouTube - GN VS Charger SRT-8 angle 2
wow, that wasnt even close. just goes to show a TR is very fast cause there are not too many cars on the road that could stay withan SRT8.

then again, its only maken about 400-410 to the wheels with a power programmer and CAI kit and they weigh over 4k. smooth and quiet tho. a TR is a toy. an SRT8 is a DD. i have entertained trading my 5.7 in for a 6.1 and putting a blower on it. i change my mind every day tho. i just dont want to fuk with my DD too much. they make about 525 to the wheels. it would be a fun DD 4 sure. it would smoke an E55 of E63 and those things are quick, very quick

My little brother has an '08 Charger SRT-8 he has had since new. It has a Diablo tune,CAI,180'f stat (that I put in),expensive exhaust,drag radials,etc. Races it every summer at our local NHRA track. He has never went into the 12's,but can run consistent low 13's all day.

There are 3 GN's and 1 white Turbo T over there. One is in the low 10's. They all beat up on him.

Here's a short vid of 1 bracket race he was in:
YouTube - 08 Charger SRT8 vs Buick Grand National Drag Race

He tells me he is bored with the Charger now,and has been looking at GN's now that I have one. I guess the Charger just costs too much to go a little faster.

A few weeks ago he told me he's looking for "one of those GNX's" to use on trips to Buffalo during the winter. "I'm gonna put studded snows on it."

I told him you guys will hunt him down if he does that.

Steve. '87 GN,t-tops. PowerLogger,60#,etc.

well, the SRT8 will yield about 175 extra horse with a blower vs. a 5.7 may only gain 100-115 or so. probably worth the $5-6k to throw one on a 6.1 but not so sure about the 5.7.

its amazing how much one has to do to get like 450 to the wheels with a Charger. a basic simple bolt on TR does that for under $10k including the car. my last car would make 100 extra hp with 3 lbs of boost almost. having a hard time swolling $6k or so for another 100-115 hp

if one is looken to go fast cheap a Charger aint the way to go by a long shot. a TR is tho to a point but driving a TR everyday vs. a Charger would make me hate the TR cause it aint a DD. some may be forced to drive it daily but they are just too unreliable to be ones only transportation and make big power at the same time.

if u want everything, speed, handling, braking, comfort, etc... buy a vette. but be prepared to pay. not to mention a TR is useless in the snow. its still funny to see how bad they beat up on the SRT8. i guess the new ones will have 475 hp but that weight aint goin anywhere so BFD

They've substantially revised the Charger Sheetmetal and grill for '11 you might even say it's a nice looking car now. Of course beauty is in the eye... For '12 the SRT grows to 6.4 of displacement, I'll be putting my deposit down this time next year:cool: Maybe that Mango color:cool:

Alan

I agree, the new body style is hot. Im so pissed the cars at work are 2010 Chargers that I drive and a whole new platform for 2011. one yr too early for us to get new cars. we get new cars like once every 5 years. i really like the new interior as well. quite plush

if ur TR aint goin 10's then its slo these days. even if its a dd it should have an ability to go 10's even if u dont run it that hard all the time. chit, a 66 and some bolt ons should get just about anyone into the 10's. dont need irons. i remember ottos dd hurst olds with a 6776 goin 10.80 first time out crappy 60 then driven home with ac on. it was just a basic build up. its amazing how fast these cars can go as a dd. winter forget it tho

if ur TR aint goin 10's then its slo these days. even if its a dd it should have an ability to go 10's even if u dont run it that hard all the time. chit, a 66 and some bolt ons should get just about anyone into the 10's. dont need irons. i remember ottos dd hurst olds with a 6776 goin 10.80 first time out crappy 60 then driven home with ac on. it was just a basic build up. its amazing how fast these cars can go as a dd. winter forget it tho

You said it! If a TR ain't in the 10's these days I agree it's slow. TR's have a reputation to uphold!

My GN, money willing, will be there soon...

I'll run anything. Traction was an issue with my car. Used to break loose way to easy even from 30-40mph. Now that I got my wheels and suspension done right this thing hooks and goes. I'm lookin for an srt 8 jeep and challenger to beat up. Already gots me the charger and neon.

Wow, yours looks great! Mines a stocker with a few bolt ons and tune. These things are amazing for a 5000 lb sled.... ;)
Thanks Bill! :cool: Mine's not got much done in the line of performance. Just a MOPAR CAI & a Borla cat-back. Basically stock since it's my daily driver.

Yea, these things are a blast!

I am entertaining putting a blower on my 09 5.7 and was told the Procharger is the better choice vs. a twin screw for example due to low end torque and simply frying the tires. That should put me around 425-440 to the wheels im told. I guess the Procharger is better suited for mid to top end power which is where these cars shine without the risk of blowing the tires away.

Im still thinken Whipple tho for some reason or even KB but I just cant stand that loud whine. The Whipple seems to be a little quieter but the Procharger might not be too annoying either tho. Atleast the newer ones that is.

For what it's worth, when I had the Procharger on my C5 Corvette years ago, it was an absolute blast. Completely reliable, great fuel economy, and pulling up to a stop light with heads turning was kinda cool too. :) Plus the power really comes on with rpm so it's not just a torque monster that spins tire.

A friend of mine just got a new Challenger, we're talking (I'm trying to convince him) about getting a Procharger for the car. :cool:

For what it's worth, when I had the Procharger on my C5 Corvette years ago, it was an absolute blast. Completely reliable, great fuel economy, and pulling up to a stop light with heads turning was kinda cool too. :) Plus the power really comes on with rpm so it's not just a torque monster that spins tire.

A friend of mine just got a new Challenger, we're talking (I'm trying to convince him) about getting a Procharger for the car. :cool:
Yea, it seems that the Procharger is probably the best setup due to the fact the car makes too much low end torque. I just dont like the whining sound they make but I have not heard a new one on a Charger so im not really sure if id like it or dislike it.