Squeeky Belts

lardaddy

I replaced my alternator with the impala ss one, now my belt squeeks horribly. any easy fixes?

I replaced my crank pulley with a polished one from RJC. The belt squeaked annoyingly afterward but eventually went away. If your alternator pulley is in alignment with the rest, I expect the squeaking will subside after time.

go to ur autoparts store they should sale something for it.i dont know the name but u spray it on the inner belt crank engine and respray its kinda sticky but it works

If it squeeks it's usually loose. The spray will work but it's a bandaid the squeek will come back

Is the new alternator pulley the same size as the original stocker?

If not see if you can swap it out with the stocker.

I think there may be a spacer/washer in there as well with the stocker so check the alignment closely with the new one vs. the old one.

Diameter of the pulley needs to be the same as the stock one or real close that's for sure.

I didn't have anything loose when I replaced my crank pulley. The belt just squeaked. To quiet it, take a bar of soap and touch it to the grooved side of the belt with the engine running.

To quiet it, take a bar of soap and touch it to the grooved side of the belt with the engine running.

Watch your fingers:eek:

A squeeking belt could also be the sign of a weak tensioner, but since it just started when you changed alternator, it sounds like a wrong size pulley

I didn't have anything loose when I replaced my crank pulley. The belt just squeaked. To quiet it, take a bar of soap and touch it to the grooved side of the belt with the engine running.

To finish the story, regardless of soap, silicone, or whatever I dressed the belt with, eventually the squealing went away on it's own. I think the belt gets broke in to certain tensions, and when you change something, like an alternator or a crank pulley, you may encounter squeal. Another option is to try a new belt at some point.