sputtering when you floor it

87LimitedT

Just getting started
Just started having this problem over the weekend, when i drive normally its fine but it seams when i floor it or if it revs up around 3200-3400 it wants to start sputtering almost like i have a rev limiter any ideas on what could be the problem?

Ill have to check them when i get to my parents, as for all the hoses thats the first thing i checked.

Just recently fixed mine with the same problem. Check MAF, it was contaminated, also chaned my 02 sensor. It runs mint after that. Other suggestions are check your intercollegiate connections. Could also be a vaccuum leak. Hope these help

Wow iPhone autocorrect... Check intercooler connections, not intercollegiate. Unless you are a college student, give that a try maybe your frat boy mechanics will know! :D

Just started having this problem over the weekend, when i drive normally its fine but it seams when i floor it or if it revs up around 3200-3400 it wants to start sputtering almost like i have a rev limiter any ideas on what could be the problem?
Coil pack, ignition module, or MAF would be my guess. Give the MAF a rap with a screwdriver while it is idling. If it stumbles, you have found the problem. The stock ign module gets gooey when hot and old. Ohm the coil pack to see if that is the problem. Good luck.

changed the coil pack and ignition module last year dont have very many miles on it since then, Im going to start with with the MAF and the O2 sensor tomorrow after work and go from there see what i can find.should the scanmaster be bringing up codes at all?

do you think its RPM, throttle, or boost related?

a failing fuel pump will do this kind of thing as well.

You may not see any codes, the diagnostics in the ECM are fairly basic.

Bob

well i took the coil pack and module off, got the module tested and it showed good not sure on the coil pack though. If the coil pack was bad would it still idle smooth?

well its been a little bit but i finnaly made it over to work on my car and im pretty sure ive found my problem i had two wire burnt at the boot pretty good on the passenger side, soim getting some new wires here in a bit also what plugs should i get to go with my combo im running about 18lbs of boost right now.

I have fought the exact same problem multiple times........

One time it was the ground wire that bolts to the front of the pass side head under the turbo....was a little loose only acted up under WOT.

Same problem again year or so later......under WOT the Down pipe was making contact with the pos. batt cable.

Same problem again a few years later.....LOL I know , I know........ found the crank sensor was making contact with the reluctor wheel.

Same problem again about a year ago.......its a long story as to why and how it got their but basically the car was really really fat and would spit and sputter and fall on it's face under WOT.

Check all the things the other members mentioned they are also a good place to start

What do your plugs look like. I recently had the same problem where my car sputtered and wouldn't go past 15 pounds of boost and no higher than 4500 rpm. I pulled my plugs and found 2 were fouled out. Car drove fine until I went to floor it.