Sping Spacer

Mr86t-type

OK, since I installed my 17" Wheels & Tires, my Right Front tire Rubs the Inner fender(on the outside) on Big Dips, Never on the Driver side Though. The REALLY WEIRD Thing is that BOTH Driver & Passanger side are EXACTLY 27.5" from Ground to Top of Outside Wheelwell, in fact ALL FOUR wheels are EXACTLY at 26.8", Oh yea my Diameter Tire in Front is 26.2", 235/50-17 (Stock Dia is 26.0")..

Bottom line, INSTEAD of getting Front Springs, which would be NUTS on this 8000mi car, I've heard about "Spring Spacers"??:confused:

I dont know about spring spacers but the frames were never straight on the G-body. They were always offset to the right for some reason. If you have the time you can try to make it even. You have about 1/8-1/4" wiggle room to play with on most cars.

Mine did the excact same thing, rubbed on the pass side not on the dr side. My car is lowered with eibach springs, I ended up trimming the wheel well to keep from rubbing. Probably the body not sitting on the frame perfectly in center.

Eric,

Thanks, now THAT would make sense, although since it's passenger side only, mine must be canted to the Left then (Driver side). I guess I could loosen all my body bushings (would that work) and try pushing it over a 1/8" or so....

Even though you have only 8000 miles on it, remember it is still 20 years old. Springs and bushings flaten over time. I had the same problem, it was the springs.

Battery on front right side puts just enough weight on that side for that to happen. Don't use spring rubber inserts or any other devise on one side it will make car turn opposite way its called wedge. Try to put 50lbs in trunk to counter balance.

If your car sits level from side to side at both the front & the rear, I would consider using a spacer under each front spring until the rub goes away, but I would never trade off side to side stance for rubbing. The spacers are generally referred to as spring isloators and are sold in sets of 2 and are manufactured and or distributed by most companies that sell springs & suspension components. Made from rubber, poly, & aluminum generally. Try Energy Suspension's or Global West's on-line catalogue for starters. Made in various diameters & thicknesses.

I dont know about spring spacers but the frames were never straight on the G-body. They were always offset to the right for some reason. If you have the time you can try to make it even. You have about 1/8-1/4" wiggle room to play with on most cars.

Eric,

I think you NAILED it, it's ~1/8" offset to the Drivers side, explaines the Slight rub, now can I simply Loosen the Body Bolts and Scoot it over, or is it just TOO HEAVY on the frame that it won't move, even with them loose???

Rubbing

Just went through the same thing. I had just bought my tires and found out right away and they let me trade to different ones. I'm now running 225/45/17 and rubbing is gone.