Speedometer cable adaptor

redhotrod

Turbo Happy
Does anyone know if our turbo regals have a gear adaptor on our speedo cable. the parts store has a cable for me, but I need to know if my car has an adaptor or not. I have no clue where the adaptor would be. My cable is a 2 piece, and I notice something at the transmission end of the cable, is that the vss sensor? Or is that the gear adaptor?:confused:

if it is the lower u can forget finding the right one... I looked and tried 5 different stores and they all had one in the system that was supposed to be right but none were.Even GM does not have it.
If any one has a resource for them new tell us please. Just my experience.

uh oh,
Well I need to replace both now
where the 2 connect by the fuse box/fenderwell, I could not seperate them, I even tried lightly heating it and turning with vice grips, no luck. I was thinking of getting both the upper and lower from, alas, autozone. They are alot cheaper than the dealer. The Buick dealership up here wanted $50 a piece,WOW, and another dealer wanted close to $30 a piece. Autozone, although I hate doing business with them, has the upper for $17 and lower for $10, but if they aren't right, its not worth nothing! Which is usually how it goes with those clowns.
Would getting both parts work maybe?

The adapter is an underdrive/overdrive reducer that screws onto the speedo driven gear on the transmission. All 84-87 TRs did not use an adapter. GM also only serviced the cable as a one piece replacement. If you needed one half you had to buy both. The GM part number is 88959481 and the Delco number is CC1066. Eric Fisher

So that part number is for a 1 piece replacement of the original 2 piece, correct

Got my replacement today from the dealer. That same GM part # turbofish38 gave me. $31.00 works good! Replaced the whole cable. But I am still getting a code 24 for the VSS. Where in the world is the VSS? Is it on the transmission or the speedo cluster?

The VSS buffer is behind the dash, above and to the left of the radio. It is light green (mint) in color and is taped to the wiring harness. Undoing the tape is a pain. One end has a connecter and the other end has the optical sensor on it and it is mounted to the back of the speedometer with one screw.

Hope this helps.
Gary:)

thanks gary,
i was just poking around under the dash and found a wire connector with 3 wires, orange, brown and black that was disconnected that looks like it goes on the steering column under the cruize control plug. I plugged that back in but haven't been able to try it out yet. I hope that fixes it.

I just ordered this part: 88959481 from a local GM dealer...

And I recieved a single long cable. I do not think the more complicated 2 piece (3-parts) cable is available any more.

I would much rather replace my cable with the same type of setup.

Does anyone know if GM made this change? If so, does anyone have the (old) 2 piece design.

GM did change the cable from a 2 piece to a one piece. The part number for the old 2 piece cable is 25033391. Watch out if you find someone still stocking one of these. Have them make sure this part number is on it.

Eric Fisher