Speedo Hookup on Tranny

T-top87GN

The Buick Manual CD Guy
How do I get the speedo hookup out of the tranny? I need to move it over to the new tranny.

Can anyone give me a hand? Thanks!

How do I get the speedo hookup out of the tranny? I need to move it over to the new tranny.

Can anyone give me a hand? Thanks!

There is a 10mm (I think) bolt to the right of it that hold a little plate...That plate slides into a grove on the speedo gear. Just remove the bolt and that little plate and the gear/cable pulls right out.

I've unscrewed the cable already but the gear? (the thing the cable screws into) doesn't want to budge. Is something else holding it in?

OK. I cannot get that stupid bullet out. All I am doing is mashing the metal.

So I will need to buy a new one. What else do I need to buy?

Alright so there's no way in hell I am getting that thing out.

I will have to buy new.

So, I know I need to buy the bullet and I guess I need the driven gear as well? Is that right? How many teeth should it have?

after unscrewing the cable from the speedo gear the speedo gear will still be in the tranny case. there should be a 10mm bolt toward the rear end of the trans which holds a small steel plate against a groove in the speedo gear (similar set up to the thermostat housing in the intake manifold). remove the 10mm bolt (small steel plate should come off with it) and then the speedo gear can be pulled from the tranny case.

Alright so there's no way in hell I am getting that thing out.

I will have to buy new.

So, I know I need to buy the bullet and I guess I need the driven gear as well? Is that right? How many teeth should it have?

Stock Driven/Speedo gear will be 29tooth.

OK guys. I got the bullet and the 29 tooth driven gear finally!

Only thing is, the place I bought it from did not include the rubber o-ring on the bullet.

Does anyone know what size it is?

you might need to swap the drive gear in the new trans, too.
did you ever take the 10mm bolt off the olds trans to remove the stock "bullet"? i've never seen one that didn't come right out once the bracket is taken off..

I tried VERY hard to get the bullet out. And yes I did take the brakcet off.

The new tranny is a completely different tranny completely rebuilt and ready to go. I was supposed to take my bullet and driven gear out and put them in the new tranny.

but is the drive gear- the one inside the trans- the same on the new one as the old one?
if not, then your speedo will be off.

Yes. The builder built the tranny so I could just reuse my old bullet and gear. We didn't know we wouldn't be able to get it out.

Not sure what size it is, If you have a HarborFreight tool store close or other, they have a 380pc O-ring assortment kit for less than $10.
I've seen several from the rust belt that are crusted in from road salt + the dissimilar metals, Al. & steel cause a galvanic reaction/corrosion by them selfs. Spray it several times with penetrant oil and let it soak, then wrap it with some metal roof flashing to keep from mangling it. Work it back & forth with Channel Lock pliers + keep spraying.