Speedo Gears - Governor

Justa6MB

Could the speedo drive gear have an affect on the governor and shift points? Need to do more testing, but rebuilt new to me trans went in. At full TV no shift at WOT, backed off a click and shifts too early? I noticed the speedo is fast so I need to see what's in there for gears and correct... I have the stock BRF trans still, so could change the governor if needed. But comes from a reputable builder. Spring is rivetted to governor.

I'm having this same issue. I gun it from a dead stop and it seems to shift wayyyy too early especially from first to second. I seem to never reach WOT. My speedometer doesn't work. When I throw it in neutral while driving the needle will bounce up and show the accurate speed. Pissing me off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you are funding out, the vb and governor are a set. When you max and match you can have problems.

There are known matches to get certain shift points.

I doubt you have a performance Speedo gear as they aren't exactly common.you say the spring is riveted on. Is there a spring on both sides or just one? What color, or how many teeth does your gear have?

Could the speedo drive gear have an affect on the governor and shift points? Need to do more testing, but rebuilt new to me trans went in. At full TV no shift at WOT, backed off a click and shifts too early? I noticed the speedo is fast so I need to see what's in there for gears and correct... I have the stock BRF trans still, so could change the governor if needed. But comes from a reputable builder. Spring is rivetted to governor.
The governor gear has no affect on the shift points but the governor itself does. Post a picture of the governor. The valve body and governor are a matched set so putting the BRF governor in the new trans may not give you the desired affect unless the trans has a BR valve body.

Ok, so I can drop the pan and take some pictures of the governor and see what's in there for gears at the same time. I've read a bit about governors and assumed the next method would be to take some weight off the one side of the governor. When you say the vb and gov are a matched set, is it not that simple? Also I've had 3 converters from Dusty, the current one being a non lock up. I assumed the higher stall is part of what is causing the early shifting. Before I drop the pan, should I try to log the shift points and stall speed on the Powerlogger?

When you drop the pan note the letters painted on the valve body. That will tell us what valve body is in the trans. The higher stall converter has nothing to do with shift points as far as speed goes. It will affect the rpm's at your shift points though. The governor looks at drive shaft speed not engine rpms. Different valve bodies have different size throttle valves and springs that control shift points that governor pressure acts upon. Just adjusting governor weights and springs may not give you the desired shift points. By all means post a Powerlogger file of the shift points at light throttle and WOT.

When you drop the pan note the letters painted on the valve body. That will tell us what valve body is in the trans.

IMAG2655_1.jpg

Might look similar to this but could(probably is) be a different color.

Well perhaps it's time to start another thread... Finally got some time to spend on the car. Got some good fuel and fresh alcohol, set the boost at about 20 psi and went for a spin. Got out on the highway, spooled it up a bit from a stop, matted it and let er go. Spun through 1 and 2, and wouldn't shift into 3rd. So let off after a second and it shifted. Tried it again twice and still no shift at WOT, and I'm not sure but it might not have shifted into 1-2. Then after those runs now it won't shift at all till between 3 and 4,000 rpm. So first it was shifting too soon, no WOT shifting, then shifting way too late. So I put the gauge on the port and checked the line pressures. Here is the results. All done at 1500 RPM:
No TV:
P=100
1=260
2=260
D=100
OD=100
N=100
R=175

Full TV:
P=300
1=250
2=270
D=280
OD=280
N=300
R=300
I wanted to share this information before dropping the pan and getting governor and valve body information. But it can easily be done.