Speedo cable greasing?

gndriver

Alright let me get this right in order to grease the speedo cable I have to remove the dash then while the cable is connected to the tranny. I'm pull the metal inside the speedo cable out with a set of pliers. Then grease the whole cable with lite grease and push it back in the black cable? Is this it or am I missing something? If I pull on the metal inside of the speedo cable wont it break?:eek:

That is pretty much it. It is a tight fit for your hand behind the cluster with the cable still connected though. You'll have to slide your hand behind the cluster and depress the metal clip holding the cable and the cable should pull free. Then pull the inside cable itself out with your fingers and grease it up.

I've pulled my speedometer cable apart at the break by the PM. I have no problems with greasing the top (short) section to the speedometer head. *%@#* I can't get the bottom section apart ( the section to the tranny) & am considering just replacing it. I have the information at home as to what speedometer cables fit.

Snap-on sells a speedo cable greaser. It hooks up to the bottom side,fill the cylinder with grease, hook up a drill, and it pushes the grease up the cable when the drill turns it. Might not be worth it since it's like hardly ever done, but as a Mechanic I purchased it along time ago. Just my .02:)