Speeding ticket in another state Q

scottyb

Spongebob Squarecar
We live in Florida, the wife got a speeding ticket in Georgia. Considering her accidents last year, we need to make every precaution available to keep the insco from knowing. In Fl, you can take a class to keep points off, but how does this work with another state involved. I don't think that they apply points, but does the insco find out info from another state? Help!

TIA

Points? I think you are right. Licensing is a state thing and speeding is a local citation - so I think you are right that a speeding ticket in another state will not assess points to your own states license.
However, that is NOT to say that an insurance company will not find out about it and they have the right to raise your rates.
Sometimes neighboring states will share ticketing information with each others Motor Vehicle Administration. It keeps the revenue flowing.
Your best bet is to probably pay it. Why would an insurance agent go out of his way to search the records of other states in hopes of finding a ticket there? Too much effort for them...

Originally posted by Vector
Points? I think you are right. Licensing is a state thing and speeding is a local citation - so I think you are right that a speeding ticket in another state will not assess points to your own states license.
However, that is NOT to say that an insurance company will not find out about it and they have the right to raise your rates.
Sometimes neighboring states will share ticketing information with each others Motor Vehicle Administration. It keeps the revenue flowing.
Your best bet is to probably pay it. Why would an insurance agent go out of his way to search the records of other states in hopes of finding a ticket there? Too much effort for them...
Well that's just it, the agent wont...agents are your friends. The company, on the other hand, will. That's why most auto policies renew every six months, so the company can re-asess your record vs. rates. It's a good chance they'll find it, but keep your fingers crossed.

The ins co will find it no matter what state the ticket was in, thanks to computers now. But normally the insurance co will not rerun you thru the system everytime your ins renews, usually only when you are applying for new insurance.
I travel alot and have received tickets in order states, I usually just pay them, but in my own state, I always fight them, or take probation, or defensive driving to keep them off. Never had the insurance co ask or find the tickets in other states, except when apply for new insurance they do....so don't change insurance co for 3 years....may be a different situation if you'd had several claims though and you are considered a "high risk" insurer, they may go out of their way to do a full seach each time it renews....

As far as I know Georgia does not report back to Florida, so I dont think your insurance company will find out. Only some states have reciprocal agreements, and many states its only for suspensions and DWIs. If I get a chance at work tomorrowI'll check

Insurance companies only run your license every once in a while (3-5 years or when you get into a couple accidents), so theres a good chance they will never know.

Unlike many people think :rolleyes: the insurance company doesnt re-evaluate you every 6 months to jack your rate and run your license to add in some new tickets, that would be a massive waste of money. Your policy is auto-reviewed at pre-determined intervals, and even then they dont always run you license again.

I got three points on my Michigan driver's license once from a ticket issued in Indiana. I don't know if this is true in every state but it does happen.

I didn't complain because it would have been a 4 point ticket at home. :eek:

check to see if they have an online traffic school. i got a ticket in florida and took the class online from new york.