Speed-o Overlay

edfiero1

I'm buying one of those Speedometer Overlays to show 140/145mph, instead of the pokey 85 we are blessed with from the factory.

I've seen a number of threads that say "Take it to a Speed-o shop and have it recalibrated". I've been around cars for a few years, but I've never heard of a Speedometer shop. What is involved with the recalibration? How do I find someone that can do it? Can chance I can do it myself?

I've googled Recalibration and found places that fix late model electronic gauges, but having trouble finding someone to work on a Mechanical unit. In fact one guy told me to change the gear in the trans. That's not right, is it ?

There is a place here local called Zepco Speedometer repair, where mine was redone. DIY not that I know of... unless you know how to do it, or have worked in a Speedo shop before

You have the speedo cable gear reducer right? Were they able to adjust the odometer gearing according to the reduced rotation of the speedo cable? My car came with the 145mph overlay and a gearbox attached to the speedo cable under the hood, but my needle sits in the middle due to corrosion on the coil. I'm unsure about the mileage of my car since I don't know if my odometer was modified or when the overlay was installed. I did call Zepco about a year and a half ago about fixing my speedometer needle, but its not a repairable piece. I did end up finding a nice used gauge cluster which I will eventually install...
IMG_20160203_162312.jpg

Pete Hoffman can do it and knows our Buicks. If I remember correctly those reducer deals make the odometer inaccurate?

Edfiero1 I do not recommend the reducer this will cause the mileage to be counted incorrectly. If I remember right you lose almost a half mile for every mile driven with the reducer the best thing to do is take it out and take to a speedo shop and have it recalibrated. But I guess if yours is like Wraith's then showing the correct mileage is already a lost cause.

You know I think i still have that reducer laying around somewhere??? :rolleyes: I have had the 145 speedo for about 15 yrs or so.

Wraith my overlay is exactly like yours but there was another 145 that had the numbers closer to the top and had long lines in between. Ours has the very short lines (dashes) below the numbers.

For all I know, my car may have well over 100,000 miles, while showing only 78k. The vin report makes around 78k seem close to correct showing a steady increase of miles throughout the years when previous owners re-registering the car.

Do you know who made yours and maybe how to identify mine to find a time period? I think you might be referring to this one with the longer lines. From Kirban's site:
product_photo-large_image-243639.jpg

Yep that is it. Didn't know Kirban had them.

I got mine from a friend back in around '99 that sold his TR so he gave that to me. A few years later I had it installed. I have no idea who made it or where he got it from?

Edfiero1 I do not recommend the reducer this will cause the mileage to be counted incorrectly. If I remember right you lose almost a half mile for every mile driven with the reducer the best thing to do is take it out and take to a speedo shop and have it recalibrated. But I guess if yours is like Wraith's then showing the correct mileage is already a lost cause.

Yep - I agree. No reducer...but the whole reason for my post, is that I've never heard of a 'Speedo Shop' and there don't appear to be any around me. The one place near by which said they work on gauge clusters, including Speedo's is the place that told me to change the gear in the transmission to recalibrate the speedometer. Clearly they do Electronic repairs and are not familiar with old mechanical speedometers.

Do a goggle search for Speedometer repair, not sure if Zepco has other locations? You may need to ship it and have them ship it back. And it look back a couple of posts Mark with TR Custom Parts said he could get it done for you.

I bought a re- calibrated speedometer with the speedometer face like Wrath is showing, the one with the red 55 mph on it from Dennis Kirban. Couldn't be happier with it....Give Dennis a call, I'm sure he'll set you up with one.....

Bruce '87 Grand Natdional

Oh, that's too bad. Didn't realize they stopped. Like post #4 said, Pete Hoffman can get this done. Awesome guy and has done so much for this community.

[QUOTE. Like post #4 said, Pete Hoffman can get this done. Awesome guy and has done so much for this community.[/QUOTE]

Yep X2 Can't go wrong here.

Didn't know Dennis stopped this service......I'm sorry about that.....was trying to help. Go with Pete, he's a stand-up, honest guy. I think, but not sure yet, that he now is working with Richard Clark. It's what I heard, but I may be wrong, like I am most of the time.

Bruce '87 Grand National