Speed limit on stock short block?

Not Avg 6

Guys,
What would you say the E.T. or more important 1/4 m.p.h. limit is for a solid stock short block tuned for zero knock? I read 11.40's or 50's, 117 or 118, but I heard rumors of cars going quicker. I'm in the process of doing upgrades and don't want to be sweeping up parts or rebuilding for a few more years. THANKS

BLACK6PACK, is that a untouched short block without billet main caps or gridle? Don't know if I could feel confident trying to push the car into ten anything.

I been 127 mph on stock rotating assembly and stock caps

I added a girdle to it since I plan to go faster but it had no problem at 127

et and mph don't have anything to do with longevity.....horsepower does

a light weight car making 600 hp may run 9's, that same engine in a full weight car may run 11's

I think a stock block without caps or girdle would be very stressed at the 600 flywheel hp level......it may make that power for a while, but it is only a matter of time until something bad happens........

local car with caps & girdle running prolly 700 hp made a bunch of mid 10 passes until the crank finally went away......he has a billet crank in there now, so we'll see what happens

so maybe a "safe" level of power would be in the 5-600 hp range.....at least the motor would last a while at that level....much higher, and the engine becomes a maintenance item

the speed/et you run at that power level is going to be a function of traction and weight

3690# shows 600 hp at the wheels to run 127

car is a lil lighter now but had lotta problem getting a chip right for 75# injectors but think that will be taken care of now.

looking to hop over 130 soon but girdled now

I know a few guys running 10s on completely stock block at 127+, and a couple running low 10s on stock setup all without caps or girdle. They do tend to change the bearings every other season or so. These guys know what they are doing and run them pig rich and dial them down to prevent even the slightest detonation.

O. K., I see that the cars can be ran at the edge for a few times only, but I think having the capability of 500-550hp would make me feel more at ease.

If you limit yourself to 11.40's, you should be very happy with it & not have to worry or work on it a lot. 11.20's are OK too, but got to be on the ball more with upkeep & will need freshened sooner. If you plan to push it into the 10's, it can be done too. Plan on caps and/or girdle at that point, but sounds like you don't plan to go there.

It also depends on your 60 foot time too. If you plan to run 11.40's with a 1.9 short time, you will have to turn it up to get the e.t. If you run slicks & get the short time down to a 1.5 or better, then 11.40's can be done with less boost. Less boost = less stress.
On the flip side, more boost = more stress = more FUN! :D

Originally posted by REDS HOT AIR
3690# shows 600 hp at the wheels to run 127

car is a lil lighter now but had lotta problem getting a chip right for 75# injectors but think that will be taken care of now.

looking to hop over 130 soon but girdled now
Problems I think is an understatment;)