"speed bleeder" opinions?

tom h

What are your experiences with "speed bleeders", eg those made by Russell and others?

Do they work as advertised without downsides, or is staying with OEM bleeder and a 2-man crew apt to be more reliable in the long run?

I noticed the speed bleeders require a thread sealant, to prevent air from getting sucked back in ... seems the sealant might shred off after a few loosen/tighten cycles of the screw ...

I switched to the speed-bleeders and installed a new line lock and new brakes all around. They worked really well- I completely bled the whole brake system by myself- loosened and tightened them alot with no problems- great investment! I did see that it stated that if you used them alot that they would eventually would have to be re-treated with thread sealant. I don't think that would be such a big problem down the road- I plan on bleeding my Powermaster every other year from now on just to keep fresh brake fluid. :smile:

don't bother getting them from any of the mail order places- NAPA has them for less, as does every parts store with a "Help!" section.
they won't come in a box that says "Russel" on it, but they are the exact same parts.

I've used the speed bleeders and not really cared for them.
I prefer my vacuum pump, but still have to do the teflon tape for thread sealant.
I just don't care for pumping the pedal until my leg is worn out.