Special TTAs

Dec. 89 High Performance Pontiac pg.19 "Pontiac Playthings". This is the magazine that explains this car and others. Fire Fox, Jeff Beitzel's convertible one of two built. And a twin turbo 605 hp. T/A.
Steve K.

Who Needs 8 said:
I didn't see anyone say this, and I don't know the exact history of this 6spd car, but one thing I noticed that my crazy car brain turned a light on is that this 6spd car is a 1988 model. The picture of the rear seat only has a lap belt, shoulder belts in the rear seats weren't required until the '89 model year.

What exactly is the story of this 6spd car?

And if they multiplied the speedo by 2 than that means it actually has 1288 miles.

Yeah, and if you notice, there is nothing on it indicating it's a pace car - no winged tire on the ground effects; even the windshield decal is different (and obvioulsy no door decals).

It does have the special back seat headrests, though.

Was a VIN ever assigned to it, and if so is it available? Would be interesting to see what it shows.

Chris
----------
1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am #760 (1800 miles)
1988 Chevrolet Corvette 35th Anniversary #1941/2050
1983 Delorean DMC-12
1985 Kawasaki Eliminator ZL900

Hi all!
I have seen this car up close, and even sat in it.
It was made for the Road And Track Supercars Manufacturers Showdown.
Since the 20th TTA here was one of them, here is alittle bit of info that I gathered so far.
This car was put together by PAS, for Pontiac. It was a engineering exercise car.
According to Dave Turra (going by merory here, so the name may be misspelled-sorry), it started life out as a 1985 Trans Am. It was pulled from the line, as a enginerring car. No vin, just stayed in Pontiac, doing duty as a test car.
With the approach by the magazine Road And Track, Pontiac approached PAS to do a car. This is the car. It was put together with off the shelf parts.
Some of the differences are:
The turbo had the bigger GNX turbine housing.
The turbine exit elbow joining the exhaust headpipe was altered to reduce restriction.
Higher capacity Delco Multech injectors and a heavy-duty fuel pump were used.
The ECM chip was reprogrammed, and allowed to use 18 psi boost.
A more aggressive camshaft with altered lobe centers and lift was used.
The rear gears were changed to 3.73
The 6 speed manual was taken from a 1989 Vette.
It still used the stock production exhasut, including the catalytic converter.
With these additions, the car now had 350 horses at 4500 rpm, and 380 hp at 5000 rpm.
She topped out at 178 mph.

Here are my pictures:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/warbi.../pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/warbirdta20/my_photos

Enjoy,

George :cool:

Also, if you notice the inside door panels, they are cut out to fit the roll bar.
Some things were since added since the Magazine test.
The Turbo emblem now sits lower than in the test, and the side door guards are now on the car. They were not at the time of the magazine testing.
Photos of the magazine tests, show small boxes stationed around the car, with one on top of the dash.
And yes, there was a driver's safety halon fire setup to protect the driver, kinda like NASCAR.

Hope this helps,

One other neat item about the car.
Notice the center console for that 6 speed.
Pre-production '91-'92 Firehawk, huh?

As for the milage on the Real Pace car, remember now, three cars were picked, and driven to Indy.
This car is Malibu, from SoCal. I am lucky in that I have the original window sticker for that car, which was give to me from the West Coast Public Relationals Zone Office.

Go figure only George would have a picture of himself sitting in the damn thing! George you suck as always!! :D :D :D :D :p :p :p :p

phillyturbosix said:
Go figure only George would have a picture of himself sitting in the damn thing! George you suck as always!! :D :D :D :D :p :p :p :p

Haha yeah no kidding you suck George, I'm sure that you had a great time sitting in the car though. Thanks a bunch for those pics and all the great information.

I talked with Scott Settlemeire at GM who setup this event that I saw the car at to see about setting up something where I could get a little closer with the car. He told me that since the Heritage Center is not open to the public and it's just used for special events that he can't realy just scedule me to go look at the car. However he said that if I remind him whenever the 40th Anniv Camaro/Firebird celebration that will be held on Aug 9-11 in Flint comes around that we can arrange something. Although it's a long time to wait I should be able to get a whole bunch of up close shots.

I still need to email the guy at Greenlight Toys to see if he has anymore pictures of the car at Indy.

Gee guys,
You are embarrasing me here with all that love you are showing me! :biggrin: ;) :rolleyes:
Ya, it was great to sit in that car.
Jim Matterson didn't want anyone sitting in the car, but Dave Turra (God, I hope I am spelling his name right) opened the door for me, and let me sit in it, and he even took the picture! He let me open the hood too.
I would have taken some more pictures, but since it was at the Trans Am Nats in 2002, I pretty much had run out of film!
Being into these cars, I just had to get what info I could. :biggrin:
I did try getting a ride in it, but Dave said to ask Jim. Jim had no problem telling me NO. :(
Oh well, I tried. :tongue:

mr.turbota said:
Gee guys,
You are embarrasing me here with all that love you are showing me! :biggrin: ;) :rolleyes:
Ya, it was great to sit in that car.
Jim Matterson didn't want anyone sitting in the car, but Dave Turra (God, I hope I am spelling his name right) opened the door for me, and let me sit in it, and he even took the picture! He let me open the hood too.
I would have taken some more pictures, but since it was at the Trans Am Nats in 2002, I pretty much had run out of film!
Being into these cars, I just had to get what info I could. :biggrin:
I did try getting a ride in it, but Dave said to ask Jim. Jim had no problem telling me NO. :(
Oh well, I tried. :tongue:

Hmmm I think I was at that show but I didn't own the TTA then so I didn't have as much interest in them as I do now. I don't really remember seeing the car, I know I have seen the other actual pace car that GM owns there before though. From the way that Scott was talking when I PMed him on another board it sounds like he might be able to get it where I'll be able to open the hood, doors, and trunk and get a bunch of pictures. Maybe I'll use up the 1,000 photos that I can get on the camera. I should have a better camera by then so I'll try to get them in like 8 mp quality so that we can see the details really well when the photo is normal size.

Do you still go to the Trans Am Nationals George? I don't think I have seen you there the 2 years I took my TTA. I didn't go this year due to school but I might go next year. Have you gone to the Pontiac Nationals in Norwalk? In my opinion it's a much better show, and this year they set several records for the show and had I think around 1,100 cars, Jim Wangers, Don Garlits, and Arnie Beswick all there (talk about a group of people who changed the automotive industry).

Hi Jared!
I have only been to the 2001 and 2002 Trans Am Nationals. Neither time did I take my car to the show. I flew each time.
Since it is on the other side of the nation, it is alittle bit harder for me to go.
I go to the big SEMA show in Las Vegas, and the big Los Angeles Auto Show almost every year, so that takes up most of my time and money funds for trips.
It is great to see others who are really into this stuff as me.
I would love to view those pictures when you get them.

Have a good one,