Speaker/Amp problem...

87GP

I have a problem with my front right speaker. When I first turn on my stereo the volume on the right speaker is lower than the left side. Sound still comes out it's just lower. When I turn the volume up it goes up, along with the left side but the volume output is still lower than the left. I have to turn the stereo up almost all the way then it'll all of a sudden "pop" on, for lack of a better word. Then I can turn the volume down then the both right and left volume are the same. Sometimes it goes low again and I just turn the volume up again.

The speaker is a 4" Eclipse run by a Zapco amp. The crossover is built in to the amp. I have the crossover freq at 500. I checked all my speaker connections, they seem tight. I was gonna solder them and see if that works. Any ideas people?

Thanks
CJ

You need to isolate the problem. Try swapping ther RCA jacks going into the Zapco. See if the poping is still on the same side. If it is, it's the amp, wiring, or speakers. If it is on the other side, then it's the radio.

GNandTTA thanks for the reply. I switched the right and left RCA inputs on the Zapco amp and the right speaker still does the same thing. Bad speaker? or connections?

How would I go about determining a bad amp and wiring?

Thanks
CJ

Try swapping channels on the amp. You have already proven that the RCA out from the deck is ok. Just switch the 2 speakers around on the speaker terminals of the amp. This should isolate it a little further.
Could be one of the channels of the amp.

Ok I think I got it down to a bad speaker. I switched the left and right output of the amp, and the right speaker still sounds low. I traced the speaker wire all the way to the speaker and found no kinks or exposure, I even soldered the terminal on the speaker.

Would my finding be correct? Thanks for the help :D

CJ

I would say so..........there are almost no options left. Maybe try doing an ohm test across the speaker terminals themselves. Since you soldered the speaker already just detach the positive/negative from your amp and put a multimeter across the 2 wires. Should be 4 ohms or so.