Spacers good or bad?

speedskills

Seniór Member
Just got a set of wheels and I need a set of spacers for the rear. No more than an inch. I'm sure the best are probably the hubcentric spacers. Have yall used these and are you happy with them? If so where did you get them? I'm worried about vibration with these. I think they would be fine if they're from a reputable vendor. Any suggestions? TIA

bolt adopters ?? = a spacer that bolts onto the hub with a set of extra bolts for the wheels?? belong only in your worst enemies car.
i had them on my car and i came real close to loosing both wheels.

SO
i removed the extra studs and made them into spacers (using 3 studs on the hub) and never had a problem with them.

I WOULD NEVER use the adopters.

So now there is a dilema. What IS the best way to give me the 3/4" I need. Anyone here deal with these products on a daily basis? Thanks for the help guys.

So now there is a dilema. What IS the best way to give me the 3/4" I need. Anyone here deal with these products on a daily basis? Thanks for the help guys.
the spacers on my car whir 1 inch thick and i didn't have a problem beating and running my car hard on NYC crappy streets.

i read some where ??? that the correct way (no real correct way but some what except-able) was to use a spacer that fits the center of the hub and the studs VERY VERY VERY snug like a balancer on a crankshaft ZERO PLAY.
of course mines didn't fit this way but it worked for me for a long time ALSO i never used anything close to a good sticking tire.

The problem I see is having a spacer on the rear drum is there is only about a 3/8" lip onto which the wheel is mounted. If I cover that with a spacer all the weight is on the studs. I'm not real sure what to do. May have to sale the rims and tires.

i ran spacers for 20+ years on these cars,no issues.i do have the long wheel studs on the back.i don't think you should worry.

Speedskills

I have a monte ss in my warehouse that would be a good reason not to run spacers or adapters the wheel came off after breaking the studs and crushed the whole quarter panel about 3gs damage . Get the right wheels ..

Okay here's the truth (personal experience) as compared to the opinions above on the dangers of spacers and adapters:

Most if not ALL failures in both instances are due to user error. People are stupid and lazy; thus dealing with the added preparation, work and maintenance surrounding these parts are usually overlooked.

Over the last 5 years I run and have run the following:

a) 1991 Camaro Z28 - 2.25" non-hub-centric adapters on all four corners. No failures (former daily driver/Auto-X track slut).
b) 1987 Monte Carlo SS - 1.0" hub-centric adapters on the rear. No failures (with M&H drag radials running 12.5 @ 116mph on nitrous).
c) 2007 TrailBlazer SS - .5" hub-centric spacers front, 1.0" hub-centric adapters rear. No failures (we use ET (extended tip) lug nuts).
d) 2002 Camaro B4C - 1.0" non-hub-centric adapters front, 1.5" non-hub-centric adapters rear. No failures (this is our Spring, Summer & Fall daily driver, and the wife's Auto-X car).
e) 1987 Buick Turbo T - custom width (L&R) non-hub-centric spacers on the rear. No failures (my Auto-X car and this includes transbrake launches at the drag strip).

So there you have it. Everything we have owned/driven in the last 5 years has had some form of wheel adapter or spacer on it. Hell, even GM from the factory has run shim spacers (80's F-bodies) and some quality wheel manufacturers include them with their products. Pay attention to your lug nut torque settings and you'll be fine (that means you'll have to take the wheels off to check the adapters after XX miles of driving just like you would a wheel).

A small price to pay for improved function and form, IMO.

I think there is a lot of factors to be considered here like crap spacers, cheap studs , poor workmanship, hubcentric/wheelcentric or not, etc. After all there are 1000+hp dragsters running spacers with no problems. I think I'll just call the pros tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys.

My ROH Drift rear wheels came with 1 an 1/2" bolt on adaptors,But with disk breaks i had to cut the studs for them to fit,There on now an work fine ,I'm pushing upwards of 700hp with Falken autcross meats,11" wide..No Issues so far!!! No Frame mods!!!
hellobozos-albums-s-back-2-24-11-picture3286-roh-drift-wheels-1-inch-drop-custum-arms-all-around-aerospace-disk-brakes-600hp-stroker-stock-block.jpg

I do plan on buying Custom Off-set wheels after all my suspenion playing around finished...I don't like spacers

Rick,

Got your message.

To be frank I have used everything from "cheap" Chinese (ezaccessory.com) adapters to very expensive units from various American vendors and found no real difference. Each has its pros and cons, from lousy machining/incorrect sizing (ID/OD) to poorly pulled through and discount bin studs.

For my money I would just buy the hub-centric ones (depending upon your application) from ezaccessory.com (watch the bore centre diameter as they may be a little small for a G-body) and replace the studs with some quality pieces (ARP, GM, etc) and call it a day. Remember to pull the wheels and recheck the torque specs on the adapters... don't be stupid and lazy.

Cheers!

Hummmmm !!!

okay here's the truth (personal experience) as compared to the opinions above on the dangers of spacers and adapters:

Most if not all failures in both instances are due to user error. People are stupid and lazy; thus dealing with the added preparation, work and maintenance surrounding these parts are usually overlooked.

Over the last 5 years i run and have run the following:

A) 1991 camaro z28 - 2.25" non-hub-centric adapters on all four corners. No failures (former daily driver/auto-x track slut).
B) 1987 monte carlo ss - 1.0" hub-centric adapters on the rear. No failures (with m&h drag radials running 12.5 @ 116mph on nitrous).
C) 2007 trailblazer ss - .5" hub-centric spacers front, 1.0" hub-centric adapters rear. No failures (we use et (extended tip) lug nuts).
D) 2002 camaro b4c - 1.0" non-hub-centric adapters front, 1.5" non-hub-centric adapters rear. No failures (this is our spring, summer & fall daily driver, and the wife's auto-x car).
E) 1987 buick turbo t - custom width (l&r) non-hub-centric spacers on the rear. No failures (my auto-x car and this includes transbrake launches at the drag strip).

So there you have it. Everything we have owned/driven in the last 5 years has had some form of wheel adapter or spacer on it. Hell, even gm from the factory has run shim spacers (80's f-bodies) and some quality wheel manufacturers include them with their products. Pay attention to your lug nut torque settings and you'll be fine (that means you'll have to take the wheels off to check the adapters after xx miles of driving just like you would a wheel).

A small price to pay for improved function and form, imo.
i would have to say the stud failure on my monte was caused by metal fatigue and a 4500 rpm trans brake launch . Not stupidity or because im lazy . It was because i have a need to beat the other guys to the end of the track .. Give it time you will learn the same way i did . Run the right rims .its only a matter of time .. Then your story will be different . I changed my studs after ten passes didnt help ..

Thanks for the info guys. I've decided to go with the hubcentric/wheel centric spacers from Fred at Wheeladapters. These are American made, custom adapters. They are made of aircraft grade billet aluminum with ARP studs. There will be no more stress on the studs than there was with the original wheels. With Loctite and a retorque I don't see any reason for these to fail. Thanks again.