Sometimes just hate my ride...literally.

Well, I want down to the local Advance and got myself a set of Monroe Sensatracs......strapped em on, and WOW! What a difference! The car rides like a Buick all of a sudden. No more teeth-rattling jarring bumpityBUMP! :D

Didn't help with traction any, I can still smoke them at 70, but I'll hold off on changing springs untill I get the new tires, and see how things go from there. Looks like it was the KYBs that I really didn't like, nothing to do with the springs. Now I'll just have to look at ride height/clearance. Thanks for the recommendations, I'm thrilled.

I rolled the wheelwell lips but I also use airbags. Rolled the lips for slicks back when but it looks like there is clearance regardless. I keep about 5 psi in the bags.

My car has the monroe sensa-tracs with the variable rate springs in the rear and solid lowers. I have a nice ride quality and very nice manners at the track on MT DR's. The variable rate springs keep the rear from getting too low and doesnt seem to squat too low on launches. IMO, its just enough, and normal ride height. Check out the pics in the photo gallery. I have one in there at the track.

WHat variable rate springs did you use?

And hey, anybody want a set of KYB shocks, CHEAP! Low miles!

I just went to NAPA, asked for variable rate springs for an 87 Grand National. They had to order them. The only ones that came up were regular stock springs, and variable rate. Part # NCP2775171 for $76.99
NAPA® Online

Crap, you're right! ;)

I'll just have to see how high the ride level is once I make the switch. I'm just hoping to run 28's and still keep the ass end down somewhat.

Crap, you're right! ;)

I'll just have to see how high the ride level is once I make the switch. I'm just hoping to run 28's and still keep the ass end down somewhat.

switch to to 275/50 15's same width but shorter tire....also with those taller tires you speedo will read slower....just an observation

275//50 is what I'm running right now, and I can't get a lick of traction. Plus, the 60's will fill the wheel well up better. I'm hoping to improve on that. Numerous sources have told me the the 60's will get better grip, we'll see. I know that NOTHING is going to be great with this much power.

it will be hard to find anything that will provide traction with that HP at 70mph....sometimes that is half the fun:eek:

I have shorter cargo's in my GN I think from an 83-85 monte, They are a few inches lower than GN cargo's. I also have 275-60-15 DR's on 15x8's with 4"bs fits nice no rubbing with wheel in the well- car has very slight rake!

Good to hear.......what the heck is rake???????????

(I know I'm going to feel like an idiot after this one.......)

Do you have the stock rear control arms? Before I replaced mine, I thought the rear end was going to drop out whenever I went over any bump. It rides like a completely different car now. I can fly over railroad tracks with no problems!!! :eek:

oops, I just saw the HP that you're pumping out. I guess you upgraded a long time ago.

Here is what it'll look like with 28" tires

Attachments

• IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 183
John, definitely looks like it's jacked up in the rear, maybe it is the angle of the photo. How stable is that thing going around corners? I remember my 70 GS I had set up about like that at one time, always felt like the back end was swaying out even around fairly modest turns.

Do you have the stock rear control arms? Before I replaced mine, I thought the rear end was going to drop out whenever I went over any bump. It rides like a completely different car now. I can fly over railroad tracks with no problems!!! :eek:

oops, I just saw the HP that you're pumping out. I guess you upgraded a long time ago.

UMI's with poly bushings.;)

FWIW... I have 275/60's on mine as well.

Stock wheels, had to hammer the frame for clearance. but it's fine now.

Stock springs w/airbags.

That one above looks higher than mine, could just be the angle. Drove fine though.

Pic:

Attachments

• IMAGE_077.jpg
    IMAGE_077.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 73