Sometimes just hate my ride...literally.

87natl

Fade 2 Black
I'm looking for some suggestions here on rear springs/shocks. My car is fine on smooth road, but hit some of the less-than-perfect asphalt that this area is littered with and my rear end wants to jump and hop all over the place. Several years back I instally Kirbans HD rear springs, which jacked the rear end up pretty good, maybe TOO good, and KYB gas shocks. If I wanted a car that road like a 73 Corvette, I'd have bought a 73 Corvette, LOL! This this is just way too high strung. And I don't know if it's more an issue of those HD springs, or if a better shock would take care of things and settle it down a bit. Suggestions?

Keep in mind that I am putting nearly 600 hp to the wheels now and anything with a side benefit of improving traction would be a plus.

Do you have air bags in the rear springs? I know that my car bounces all over the place when I have more than 5 psi in them.

Nope, no air bags.

I'm thinking about upgrading the shocks first and seeing if that helps. Possibly Edelbrocks, or an adjustable. QA1s?? What do you guys like?

KYBs are stiff as hell. Had 'em on the old GP, bad move. I have Monroe Sensatracs in the rear on my GN. They ride nice. Springs hold the car up, shocks control the bounce. Go for new shocks.

also check the rear sway bar...but dump those "cargo" springs...lowering the center of gravity will also help...Eibach makes a nice set of springs...it also depends on what you want...straight line acceleration or handling....sometimes you cannot have both...

OK, one says springs, one says shocks, LOL! I think it's probably just a bad combo, and you are BOTH right.

As for lowering the car, that is a major concern alright. Car sits pretty hig in the back right now, and that's with 275/50/15s. I'm gettting ready to set her up with the Nitto 60's for the street, so I'm going to go up an inch right there. While it's fun going sideways at 75 MPH (like I did earlier today), I've gotta get this thing under better control.

So, who's running a 28 inch tire on the street, with what springs and shocks where you are getting a decent ride that doesn't rattle your teeth, but still get some bite? I know I'm asking a lot......

it is a combination of springs , shocks, tires...I Run Firestone Indy 500's eibach springs and the monroe sensortrac shocks...droppingthe ride hieght improved the handling...but will not help much with the 60' times...it all depends on what you want.....but jacking up the rear does nothing for pot holes

Shoot, i don't even want to think about potholes !! (I try to dodge those) Just ripples in the asphalt.

How will lowering the back end affect my clearancing those 28 inch tires? Something to think about........they will probably sit insid ethe fender lip better than the 275/50's since they are a bit narrower. Before putting the Kirban springs on the rear, I was cutting my sidewalls anytime I had rear passengers. It fixed that probelm...I just hate the ride.

Springs or Shocks

I have KBY"s and Eibach springs with 2 bags no problems here. How old are your shocks and check the bushings in the upper and lower bars. Just a thought, good luck! Forrest

Cool, will they fit the NITTO 60's? Anybody know? I wonder how much lower those Eibach springs will ride compared to the Kirbans HD springs?

had kirbans springs before the Eibachs...dropped it a 3/4" and the 235/60 Firestones fit with no problem...front dropped an 1" and no fitment issues

edit...also had installed new front and rear sway bars and had replaced all the body bushings...inc GNX ones...that will also make a difference in ride height...if you bushing are worn body will sit lower on the frame...

Those springs are fine had them in several cars, You have 2 things to do.
#1 Get those kyb's off the car !! edels or bilstein for sport ride, basic monroes or gabriels for smooth ride.

#2 check your front and rear control arm bushings upper and lower. more times than not I find these are bad causing unstable cornering.

That's still just a 26" tire. The Nitto 275/60R15 is nearly a 28" tire. Guess there's just one way to find out. ;)

I have KYB's and love them. I also have a Moog spring on the back and my car tracks great. But i also have the ATR sway bar and UMI tubular uppers/lowers. I say its your springs.

If I didn't want to greatly change the ride height, just get it back down to stock, would going with just a set of TRW rear coil springs be a decent option?

I am running the Eibach sport springs, they dropped the car .8 inches for a very aggressiv stance. I am running the Competition eng. 3- way adjustable shocks , I run the fron at 90/10 and the rear at 50/50 in the rear I am running the BFG drag radials 275/50/15 and I also have the south side upper and lower control arms. I had issues with the fender lip in the tire but installed airbags and it took care of that. The car has a little bit stiffer ride than before but not too bad ( I have a '69 corvette to compare too....lol) Over all I think it is just combination and everybodys definition of smooth or stiff ride is different.

My car has 275/60s. The sidewall height has alot to do with ride quality also. They fit fine with aluminum drums since the drums are a bit thicker than iron ones. If you get a spacer you will be ok but you'll probably need longer studs to ensure sufficient thread usage.

Are your 275/60 able to tuck inside the rear fender lip? WHat springs are you running?