Some white smoke?

87TTypewriter

finally
what does white smoke through the exhaust at take off indicate. not an extreme amout but visible and not ever time i stop and go. more random than anything. i just put TT chip and 42 lb inj in today. couldnt say if it did it before, cause i have only put 210 miles on it since i bought it in Jan. the guy i bought it from said he had 108 octane in the tank. i have put gas in the car 2 times about 5 gal each time. car runs smooth and has no knocking .

You should be able to rule out any engine issues with a good leak down test.

Could be Turbo seals. Do you know the condition of the turbo?

Pull the inlet pipe off and check the shaft for end play. Check the up pipe and throttle body for oil.....pull the IC and clean it out.

Could also be the exhaust turbine side seals so check in there for signs of oil leaking past the seals and end play.

well i took the inlet off and seems there is a little shaft play as i compared it to the stock turbo on my buddy's TTA. also there is allot of oil in the up pipe. how can i fix this problem and how much will it cost. also could i upgrade to a 49 without having to buy more supporting mods?

Any end play = your turbo needs a rebuild or replace.

Yes you can go to a TA49....but if you're upgrading oyur turbo go for a TA61 or equivelent...bolts right on and looks stock....passes smog........and add Alky before you go too boost crazy.
Do you have a ScanMaster or Powerlogger?
Get one.
Do you have a good boost gauge?
Get one.
:biggrin:

I think G-body parts is running a real nice sale on turbos right now.....check them out.

I would think your injectors are fine for a TA61 based on what I've gathered from the more exerienced guys here and have studied about other combo's.....but let's see what one of the more experienced guys say.

I think it would be more dependent on how much air you try to move, and Eric at TT would set your chip up for the combo you tell him you have....yes you should have it re-burned for the larger turbo and boost range you intend to run.

Oh.....and if you're still running a stock converter, you'd need more stall in your converter for the bigger Turbo.......kinda important...

"White vs Blue" smoke

Yes, it can be water from a head gasket leak, but it can also be oil from a blown turbo center seal.

Then the oil leaking around the seal can go either to the intake or exhaust side of the turbo. If it goes to the intake the oil will be combusted and turn "bluish", and if it goes directly to the exhaust, it will still be white. Mine blew all of a sudden and I had billows of white smoke.

Once the engine is cold then U can check for condensed liquid water or oil in & out of the turbo or maybe even @ the tailpipe.

Once the engine is cold then U can check for condensed liquid water or oil in & out of the turbo or maybe even @ the tailpipe.[/QUOTE]

yup. the problem has been identified. im gonna use the stock turbo from my buddy's TTA for a while. I will upgrade later.