Some testing of the RJC Racing BGC ADPP (long)

TurboTR

sprayhead
Well I finally got to do some testing of the RJC Racing BGC ADPP. Note that we only had about 600 cfm of source airflow, roughly, from a flow bench. On the real engine it probably sees at least 2x that. Basically we were feeding the air into the inlet piping as it all exists on the car, connected where it comes out from the fmic exit. We used an aftermarket F*rd MAF to measure the total MAF. Used a sensitive differential pressure gauge to measure the steady state pressure difference rear to front in the manifold, and the steady state pressure difference from top to bottom (across the plate basically). Also did some rough hand pitot probing of each port and mapped that. And then sprayed the N2O while the air was also flowing through the system and took pics of the resulting spray patterns from the ports. Tested with and without the plate of course.

I'm estimating we had about 30 lbs/min of flow through the system The MAF read ~ 4.90v (out of 5v max). Of course the real engine sees on the order of 2x+ that, like 80+ lb/min. But what we had was still enough to blow all the papers and nekkid chicks calendars off the walls (lol) from the air rushing out of the rear ports (with no plate)...

Here are some pics of the test setup, taken with my phone camera which is obviously not very good ;)

(edit- the board does not allow many images to be linked- Grrrr... So some are linked instead)

http://www.geocities.com/turbotk2001/BGC_ADPP_testing/BGC_ADPP_test_setup_a.JPG

BGC_ADPP_test_setup_b.JPG

BGC_ADPP_test_setup_c.JPG

BGC_ADPP_test_setup_d.JPG

The intake appears to have had a hysterectomy (lol) because it was converted from off center to on center awhile back (by list member Bad as L). Cut it lengthwise and put it back together basically. It has a pressure tap in the front, and I also added a tap in the the rear for the tests.

We found that, with the plate the overall flow balance across the ports was very good; a bit forward port biased at our test flow level. Maybe at a more realistic flow level (like 2x) the balance would equalize even more, as much higher dynamic force towards the rear should occur. One thing I found very interesting is that without the plate the flow was so skewed that the flow direction from the #2 port up front was actually reversed, flowing INTO the port from the outside while the others were blowing out hard (lol). Overall, without the plate the flow was of course heavily biased towards the rear ports. Not a pretty situation at all actually IMO ;) This can be seen quite graphically in the pics below.

With no plate I measured +6" H20 (~0.2 psi) pressure delta from the rear to front of the manifold at our test flow. At 80 lbs min that would surely be much more; probably on the order of +0.5 psi or more. The sensitive 6" H2O gauge I had turned out to be about perfect for these tests. Also used it for the pitot probing. Anyway, when the plate was put on that pressure delta dropped to about +0.5" H2O or less, rear to front.

I for sure like the positive effects it had on the nitrous flow, at least as I see it. While the air was blowing through we shot a ~ 150 dry shot. On my setup the hose ports into the inlet piping down low, near where the pipe turns up from the fmic exit. I've always been curious as to what exactly comes out the ports when the hose is on, and how well it balances. The pictures below tell the story there quite well IMO...

Here is the nitrous flow out of the ports without the BGC ADPP. The majority of it can be seen clearly blowing out the rear holes only:

nitrous_flow_without_BGC_ADPP_adj_2.JPG

Here is the flow with the BGC ADPP; the flow is very much equalized:

nitrous_flow_with_BGC_ADPP_adj_2.JPG

Whew that industrial grade nawwzzz stinks ;) lol...

Of course all this testing is basically dealing only with the steady state component of the flow, and maybe does not tell us as much of the whole picture as we would like. Still mulling all that over, and likely will be for the next several years ;) I'd suspect that as the engine speed (and the flow) increases, the steady state flow aspects become relatively more and more heavily weighted in the total picture. But still very interesting tests, regardless.

I will definitely use the plate :) Good work RJC!

TurboTR

PS- thanks very much to Jim Whelan (owner of the arm in the pics :) at Motion Dynamics for the generous use of his time, equipment and facilities!!

TurboTR

Not sure, but the freebie image host may start red x'ing as the dl BW rises on the pictures. Anyone have a better location for the pics?

TurboTR

Just one clarification. Be careful of the distinction between STANDARD cfm, and ACTUAL cfm. (standard is corrected to normal pressure, 14.7psia) The ACTUAL air flow through a 3.8 liter Buick engine is very unlikely to ever be more than about 500 cfm. You can boost the pressure all you want, so that there is more MASS flow, because of higher density, but a 231 cubic inch engine will only flow just so much fvolume of air. Of course, if you turn it 10,000 rpm, THEN you can get the actual air volume to be much more, but that kind of rpm is not real likely. Since the flow volume is always going to fairly low, the ports don't need to be real big. Pressure drops are a function of both velocity and density, but they are related to velocity SQUARED and directly to density, so doubling velocity will give four times the DP, while doubling the density won't give but maybe twice the DP. It would be neat to run tests with higher pressure, so you could get the actual pressure drops, but for comparison purposes, it's not really necessary. GOOD TEST!!

very good info, Jason really did his homework and the plate has proven itsself over and over.. :)

Pics!

TurboTR

Attachments

• BGC ADPP test setup a.JPG
    BGC ADPP test setup a.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 752
  • BGC ADPP test setup b.JPG
    BGC ADPP test setup b.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 747
  • BGC ADPP test setup c.JPG
    BGC ADPP test setup c.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 752
  • nitrous flow without BGC ADPP adj sm.JPG
    nitrous flow without BGC ADPP adj sm.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 751
  • nitrous flow with BGC ADPP adj sm.JPG
    nitrous flow with BGC ADPP adj sm.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 745
Sadly, it never got off the ground..

Actually this thread was updated (pics added again) after being referred to in a Nitrous section thread.

TurboTR

In real world testing, we noted poor cylinder balance and had to correct the BGC plate. We butchered the center of the plate on the tailgate of my truck at BG in 06 and ran it as a plenum spacer, very little correction was needed and it was improved from the original design.

I had another well known Buick Guru make a comment to not run the plate, we told him it was "gutted" he laughed and said good job....

Now, we run the DLS plenum spacer and have ZERO correction on our record setting pass.

The BGC plate is a waste of money IMHO.

Ted, i assume your upper plenum had been welded and built up or was it standard issue BGC?
Do you have a picture of it, i forget what it looked like

Here is the bgc pp

BW

Attachments

• AADPP-BGC3 (Small).jpg
    AADPP-BGC3 (Small).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 634
In real world testing, we noted poor cylinder balance and had to correct the BGC plate. We butchered the center of the plate on the tailgate of my truck at BG in 06 and ran it as a plenum spacer, very little correction was needed and it was improved from the original design.

I had another well known Buick Guru make a comment to not run the plate, we told him it was "gutted" he laughed and said good job....

Now, we run the DLS plenum spacer and have ZERO correction on our record setting pass.

The BGC plate is a waste of money IMHO.

Wow that is super impressive.

So what correction or balance data are you referring to that tells you the plate is worthless?

TurboTR

Individual cylinder EGT readings, plug checks, and my wallet.

I too have this spacer and was told by engine guru/friend not to use it. So I guess I am going to have to gut mine as well. I wish I would have asked him this question before I purchased it.:( But it sure looks purdy.
How did you gut yours Ted? was it just the flat part, or did you also remove the slope also on the passenger side to match the drivers side?

I too have this spacer and was told by engine guru/friend not to use it. So I guess I am going to have to gut mine as well. I wish I would have asked him this question before I purchased it.:( But it sure looks purdy.
How did you gut yours Ted? was it just the flat part, or did you also remove the slope also on the passenger side to match the drivers side?

Butcher out the flat part and you will need to mill out the tapers on the sides. Personally, I'd just sell it as-is and go with the DLS plenum. It is a little taller.

The craftsmanship is top notch no doubt, Jasons workmanship is excellent.

Some more details would be helpful as well. Was the balance testing done at your TSL config flow level or the much higher TSO level? And I'm assuming you had EGTs in all exh pipes then- a few questions: Which cyls were the highest, and how much was the cyl-cyl variance? And how much did all of that change after the ADP was gutted?Thanks in advance.

TurboTR