Some old slicks question

rssooner

I haven't been to the track in quite some time. I have stored my slicks (about 20 passes on them) in my garage. Question is......how old is too old to get good traction at the track?

Thanks

Rob

Quite some time as in, a decade or two, or quite some time like last year?

I know the discount tire near me wont mount tires over ten years old. When I went there to get a new pair for the front of the Regal I was going to get one of them mounted for a trailer tire so I brought a rim along. They told me that they couldn't mount them but gave me a killer deal on a new tire that they couldn't move that I am using for my trailer.

How old are they?

Quite some time as in, a decade or two, or quite some time like last year?

I know the discount tire near me wont mount tires over ten years old. When I went there to get a new pair for the front of the Regal I was going to get one of them mounted for a trailer tire so I brought a rim along. They told me that they couldn't mount them but gave me a killer deal on a new tire that they couldn't move that I am using for my trailer.

How old are they?

Slicks don't have the uv protection that radials have. The rubber will degrade, and you'll get some dry rot. If they aren't cracked up on the sidewall, have em mounted, go to a local concrete bridge late at night and smoke em down. Then recheck them. I'm guessing at 5 years, you'll have some leakdown slowly. But they should hook fine at least into the low 12s.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Depends how hard you launch it. After a few years they can get hard enough that they may not hook well. Since you have them, run'em.

ks