Some advice needed

justcrusin'

I am in the process of building a very lightweight tube chassis. The car did 9.45 @ 3625lbs. I expect to drop 900 to 1000lbs. What interests me now is the thought of putting a turbo or procharger in there. I am leaning more towards the turbo/turbos just so i can call it a Turbo Buick. I have several engines I can use for this build but they are all high compression. What would be good compression for a BBC blown through set up? 9 to 1 or less?
I have a 589/@ 10 to 1....can anything be done with this without new pistons & cam? I want to keep it simple and safe. The car will already be mid 8's so boost wont have to work too hard, just help out a little. I don't understand turbo applications all that well. I do have my 11.50 street car...but GM built that. I need advice.......What would you guys do?

10-1 is fine but it really depends on how much boost you want to run. To bump the power up a lot you have to worry about piston design. Is the piston a real lightweight n/a piston or is it heavy duty enough to tolerate boost? 10-1 compression is fine on C-16 or Q-16 gas.

Cam is the same way. To run 8-10 psi an n/a cam will most likely work ok but once the back pressure starts rising there is a huge benefit to having a cam ground for a turbo. As easy and cheap as a cam swap is, I'd do it regardless.

10-1 is fine but it really depends on how much boost you want to run. To bump the power up a lot you have to worry about piston design. Is the piston a real lightweight n/a piston or is it heavy duty enough to tolerate boost? 10-1 compression is fine on C-16 or Q-16 gas.

Cam is the same way. To run 8-10 psi an n/a cam will most likely work ok but once the back pressure starts rising there is a huge benefit to having a cam ground for a turbo. As easy and cheap as a cam swap is, I'd do it regardless.

Well, the 10 to 1 589 has 830hp
The 572 @ 15 to 1 has 960hp

Thinking of leaving those two alone and working with my 565.
It's 15 to 1 now. Were would you start with this?
My goal is 1400 -1600hp / high 7's would be crazy.
What should I start looking into for turbo size? Should I run straight alcohol? Blown through?

Well, the 10 to 1 589 has 830hp
The 572 @ 15 to 1 has 960hp

Thinking of leaving those two alone and working with my 565.
It's 15 to 1 now. Were would you start with this?
My goal is 1400 -1600hp / high 7's would be crazy.
What should I start looking into for turbo size? Should I run straight alcohol? Blown through?

It still comes down to piston design. I'd swap pistons and cam to something designed for boost. 12-1 if you want to blow through alcohol, 9.5-1 if you want to use gas. I'd look for a 98-106mm used on the internet. G-trim turbine with a 1.32 or 1.5 a/r turbine housing. They can be found on yellowbullet or racingjunk for $1400-1800 with few passes on them.

It still comes down to piston design. I'd swap pistons and cam to something designed for boost. 12-1 if you want to blow through alcohol, 9.5-1 if you want to use gas. I'd look for a 98-106mm used on the internet. G-trim turbine with a 1.32 or 1.5 a/r turbine housing. They can be found on yellowbullet or racingjunk for $1400-1800 with few passes on them.

Yeah, I figured 3k in the 565. For pistons and cam.
I just don't want to hear it...lol

I do need advice in the turbo field.. Thanks for your help.

This car needs a Turbo...

The more I think about it the more obsessed I become.

So far I've gutted the car, removed all glass, floor, trunk deck, front cap...ect...

The front strut from ART is in place. The 572 and powerglide are mocked up.

Working on the rear frame rails and taking a few inched off the 9".

All the fiberglass (cap, trunk, bumpers, doors, molded lexan) from Glasstech fits perfect.

Wondering if I should Exaust out the fender?

Sounds like good project, post pics of the build if you can. I would advise against blow-thru carbs, nothing but trouble. EFI is the way to go with forced induction.

Sounds like good project, post pics of the build if you can. I would advise against blow-thru carbs, nothing but trouble. EFI is the way to go with forced induction.

I will try to post some pics when I figure out how...

EFI may be complicated for me. Hell, turbos are complicated for me..

I do have a bad ass intake with 160's on it.

The cage is almost finished. (7.5 cert C/M tig) The front end is rolling. I guess i should order new axels instead of cutting down the old ones. I think 53"-35 spline may be an easy sell. The tire is big ( hoosier 32.5 x 15.5) on a 15" rim its putting 17.25 on the pavement. Roll out was a few inches more than advertised (106") there goes some of my gear...

Once the cage, chassis and front end mounts are done it will be painted silver ( gonna lift the body off for that ) the body may have silver flames to match the cage and chassis. I don't know, hate to break up the all black look.

gutted....

Attachments

• CAR1.jpg
    CAR1.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 294
Awesome build. that some great fabrication going on. what trans are you planning on using??