Solid trans crossmember

34blazer

Would it be a bad idea to solid mount the trans crossmember? Of course the ends would need to be modified to be rigid, but I was just brain storming ideas for a budget frame strengthening project.

some G bodies did have solidly mounted crossmembers... Buicks, however, don't because they put more emphasis on making them ride like a Buick than making them stiff... i'm pretty sure the Monte SS that i had used a solidly mounted crossmember. it was in pieces and i never got a drivetrain in it before selling it, tho, so i might be wrong.

solid ones were used on cars that were old enough on NA where a knock sensor were NOT used. I have some if you are interested in going this direction

They used solid mounted crossmembers on V8 cars. The trans mounting pad was also in the center on the V8 models and offset on the V6's. The only thing I can tell you is the reason for the rubber between the crossmember and offset mounts was probably to help deal with the inherent vibration that the V6's have. The V8's did have knock sensors as well.

Ok good. I'm going to come up with a way to strengthen the ends and make it solid, as well as move the mounting tab over to accommodate a standard mount. Also figured there was some purpose for the offset trans mount. Open to suggestions and pics if anyone has done the same.

Thanks!

Just but a crossmember from a V8 Monte Carlo, El Camino or Cutlass with a 2004r trans. All the work is done already!