Solid Roller Cam and Lifters

Jeff Strube

I was looking at going to a Solid Roller Cam in a 109 Block Stock Computer Car. Can this be done? I was looking at the Comp 868-12 Endure X lifters they seem like they will work. and the 941-12 Comp Spring 135 seat 379 open.

Can this be done for Street Strip Car and not have to Run Vavles alot.
I would like the Vavle Lash to low.

I was looking at going to a Solid Roller Cam in a 109 Block Stock Computer Car. Can this be done? I was looking at the Comp 868-12 Endure X lifters they seem like they will work. and the 941-12 Comp Spring 135 seat 379 open.

First, I doubt that the lifters would work in a 109 block unless the cam is ground on a small base circle?:confused:

Second, why do you want to use a solid roller and 135# springs? You can do this with a hydraulic roller and accomplish the same results.:)

Third, what do you mean by "vavle Lash to low"?

Fourth, forget about using your knock sensor with a solid cam.

Fifth, a solid roller cam MUST be billet, and will require a "special" retention work and parts.

Sixth, we have 109 blocks in local GN's that run high 9's with hydraulic rollers, why go to the expense and trouble of using solids for a street car?

I am trying to give you some insight based upon a "few" years with many different combinations, so I hope this helps.

What are your performance goals? I doubt those lifters will work. The 941 springs will work well with a hydraulic roller.

Unless you plan on bronze bushings in the lifter bores, I'd stay away from solid roller cams in a stock block engine. The oil passages are drilled through the middle of the lifter bore. At max lift you can uncover the oil passage and cause massive internal oil leak.

Some people get around this problem by using a small base circle cam where the lifter rides deeper in the lifter bore. You could still have problems.

We have many 109 blocks using TA solid roller lifters.

Working with TA for years on this, they had Crower make a shielded foot solid roller lifter that does not need a small base circle cam or lifter bore liners.:)

can you use the ta solid roller lifters with a comp roller cam? if so what are the benefits?

can you use the ta solid roller lifters with a comp roller cam? if so what are the benefits?

Yes for the 1st question.

The oil passages in the 109 block are partially drilled into the lifter bores. Using a standard or roller hydraulic lifter, the lifter blocks the oil from escaping. Most solid roller lifters, do not have a big body. As the lifter rises on the cam lobe, the solid lifter unshrouds the oil gallery, the oil escapes into the lifter bore ulitmately you loose oil pressure.

Some say to use a small base circle cam to keep the lifter lower in the bore (not to unshroud the oil gallery). Using a small base circle cam, you are still limited to the amount of lobe lift. Don't know the exact lobe lift height. Other have bushed the lifter bore, $$$$$.

The solution: TA had Crower make a solid roller lifter using a bigger body. By using a bigger body lifter, the oil gallery does not get unshrounded as the lifter rises on the lobe.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

The knock sensor does not like the solid roller, at least in my car. I have my Casper's knock gauge still hooked up and the lights are constantly going to red when the car is sitting there idling. It's kinda funny:p

Lol! We still dont know his performance goals. Good tech BillyT. Fwiw hydraulics have been 9.40's at 3500lbs.