Soft shift from 1to 2

gnkid1987

Got an 87 gn had transmission rebuilt a few years back shifted great but over the last year or two it has been shifting very soft from 1 to 2 but all other gears up and down shift both are quick and firm. I was thinking maybe the servo ? Which is still the stock one in the car

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Did you check to see if the servo is the stock 694 piece?

How many miles since build?
Fluid change?
Fluid condition?
Fluid level?
TV cable adjustment?
Line PSI?

Might pull the servo and see if it has a rolled or cut seal.

How many miles since build?
Fluid change?
Fluid condition?
Fluid level?
TV cable adjustment?
Line PSI?

X2 on turbo nasty's suggestions. If it's the correct 694 servo then there is likely a problem somewhere else. Are you still running a stock pan and filter?

Another question, does it only shift "soft " on hard acceleration or all the time. Adding an extra quart of trans fluid seems to fix issues for some.

Could be that the drum is glazed and it takes that extra milli second to fully grab the drum which gives the feeling of a soft shift.

It shifts soft all the time used to chirp tires from 1st to 2nd now it feels like a Toyota shifts smooth but 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th are firm. Under wide open throttle it shift soft too only in 1st to 2nd I got the stock pan and filter in the car

Have you tried adjusting the TV cable back to the factory setting? If you're concerned about throwing anything off, mark the notch it's at now...so if there's a problem afterwords, you can put it back to where it was. I was having the same issue as you, and adjusting the TV cable solved the problem.