Soft Launch

jburnsinnj

I have a stock 87 G/N and have a problem breaking the rear tires loose on launch. (They DO NOT break loose) I recall this car having a lot more power off the line when it was new (has 34K now) and had trouble getting traction off the line then.

The transmission is not slipping and after a second or two the car accelerates normally and shifts good but is just slow for the first second or two. I cannot understand why it is doing this now.

I am running Goodyear Eagle's with stock tread and width, stock boost and the original chip. The only things I have changed are adding a F/P hotwire kit and Walbro F/P with an adjustable regulator.

The car starts, drives and performs flawlessly around town and at highway speeds but just seems slower than normal off the line. I would like to keep it stock without any more power adders and just get it to have more response off the line. Any suggestions to the problem would be appreciated.Thanks !

Cracked drivers side header. Or an exhaust leak elsewhere. Look real close with a light by the dip stick tube where the headers are welded and I would bet its cracked. Slow to spool right.

What kind of boost are you seeing on launch? Could have a exhaust leak(drivers side header) that is not letting the boost come in on your launch.

I have a stock 87 G/N and have a problem breaking the rear tires loose on launch. (They DO NOT break loose) I recall this car having a lot more power off the line when it was new (has 34K now) and had trouble getting traction off the line then.

The transmission is not slipping and after a second or two the car accelerates normally and shifts good but is just slow for the first second or two. I cannot understand why it is doing this now.

I am running Goodyear Eagle's with stock tread and width, stock boost and the original chip. The only things I have changed are adding a F/P hotwire kit and Walbro F/P with an adjustable regulator.

The car starts, drives and performs flawlessly around town and at highway speeds but just seems slower than normal off the line. I would like to keep it stock without any more power adders and just get it to have more response off the line. Any suggestions to the problem would be appreciated.Thanks !

well since you said that the only thing you added were the fuel pump, hotwire and regulator then i would have to say that you may have to much fuel at idle because the pump and hotwire will increase your pressure right off the bat with a stock chip you only need 35 psi with the vacuum line disconnected. 43 may be to much. i would invest in a TurboTweak Home chip and set the fuel at 42 to 43 line off.

Is this something new all of a sudden or has this been a gradual thing? The stock chip isn't programmed optimum for today's gasolines. Try putting an updated chip in it like a TT chip. :smile:

Hmmm this sounds like what my car is doing. Seems to be getting worse and worse. Im going to take my headers off whenever my downpipe comes in and get them all welded up. I hope these cracks are why my car is low on power.

well since you said that the only thing you added were the fuel pump, hotwire and regulator then i would have to say that you may have to much fuel at idle because the pump and hotwire will increase your pressure right off the bat with a stock chip you only need 35 psi with the vacuum line disconnected. 43 may be to much. i would invest in a TurboTweak Home chip and set the fuel at 42 to 43 line off.

I'm with him...check your fuel pressure. All cars like fuel pressure at a different setting, for running best.

Could it be a cracked header? Yes. But too much fuel in 1st gear will bog these cars down and make them leave slow. Tuning, tuning, tuning...:D