Soffseal weatherstripping!

GotGrunt

I just wanted to share my experience with some roof rail weatherstripping I purchased from Summit Racing; Soffseal part #5400, for my hardtop GN. The pair was $65 compared to $350+ for the OEM GM stuff out there... what a savings! I have to say that the fit and finish is excellent, comparable to the stuff I yanked off. It came with the new push pins and instructions, and it took me literally took 10 minutes to get them on after I removed the old, crusty stuff :D

If anyone is thinking about trying them out, go for it, you will not be disappointed!

-Gary

does the glass seal perfectly all around the seal mine dont and i am going to call summit after christmas for a warranty.

does the glass seal perfectly all around the seal mine dont and i am going to call summit after christmas for a warranty.

It looks pretty good to me, but you might need to adjust the door and/or window glass to make it seal perfect all around, since these cars are old now and the doors have probably sagged slightly. I can tell you that it seals much better than what came off the car though lol

Not the best picture quality, but you can see how it fits...

weatherstrip.jpg

I used the same stuff on a car. For price you can't beat it. However, if you will note, at the "connection points" the GM stuff has a plastic support molded into the rubber. These aftermarket ones do not. The little push tabs over time will rip the rubber where it is not supported. I have GM stuff too. The fit is exactly the same. It's just the plastic support that makes a difference.

Honestly, I don't think it makes too much difference unless you are anal about the car being perfect...

I used the same stuff on a car. For price you can't beat it. However, if you will note, at the "connection points" the GM stuff has a plastic support molded into the rubber. These aftermarket ones do not. The little push tabs over time will rip the rubber where it is not supported. I have GM stuff too. The fit is exactly the same. It's just the plastic support that makes a difference.

Honestly, I don't think it makes too much difference unless you are anal about the car being perfect...

I just checked the factory stuff I pulled off and it doesn't have the plastic supports. I know the doors do.

All the factory pieces have the plastic supports inside the rubber... If not, it's aftermarket. Several companies make the stuff..

All the factory pieces have the plastic supports inside the rubber... If not, it's aftermarket. Several companies make the stuff..

Plastic supports are just in the door seals? The gm roof rail seal has the metal wire in corners not sure if theres any plastic supports? I have roof rail seals and need door seals. I want to make sure I get the right seal. thanks

Every GM weatherstrip that I have pulled either the door or roof rail stuff has had the plastic support on the inside. On the doors is where you can generally see the rubber worn away and the white plastic underneath. It's only in the spots that have the push pins to secure them.

Plastic supports are just in the door seals? The gm roof rail seal has the metal wire in corners not sure if theres any plastic supports? I have roof rail seals and need door seals. I want to make sure I get the right seal. thanks

Yeah, mine had the wire frame in the rubber, but no plastic support pieces. It was definitely the OEM roof rail.

Hey got grunt glad you had good luck with the after market stuff I however ordered door and roof strips from steele what a joke, i started with the doors the holes where half inch off and no plastic backing at the ends for support.I chose to not even look at the roof strips after that and sent them back,I know the gm are ALOT more money but mine have lasted 24yrs. so they must be doing something right so gm it is for me should be here any day. I dont see that kind of term out of aftermarket just my op. Do you got any pointers on the roof rail install? I have not taken mine down yet did you have to remove any of the plastic trim for headliner?and r they glued or clipped in?Good luck with your stuff.

Hey got grunt glad you had good luck with the after market stuff I however ordered door and roof strips from steele what a joke, i started with the doors the holes where half inch off and no plastic backing at the ends for support.I chose to not even look at the roof strips after that and sent them back,I know the gm are ALOT more money but mine have lasted 24yrs. so they must be doing something right so gm it is for me should be here any day. I dont see that kind of term out of aftermarket just my op. Do you got any pointers on the roof rail install? I have not taken mine down yet did you have to remove any of the plastic trim for headliner?and r they glued or clipped in?Good luck with your stuff.

Taking off the old stuff was easy, but a little time consuming on certain areas. First you need to pop off the push pins, there should be 4 per side. Then just pull them off slowly trying not to tear them. The factory glue should be dried out by now. One side gave me a hard time and I had to take the gutter off and hit it with a wire brush, no big deal. The only trim that needs to be loosened is the piece that runs up vertically between the weatherstrip and the 1/4 window. I didn't use any glue to reinstall, just the push pins. They are on there really good.

Hey thanks for the quick reply i just checked mine out and yes it appears to be pretty easy so thanks again,did the blow out clips come with your new seals?:smile:

Hey thanks for the quick reply i just checked mine out and yes it appears to be pretty easy so thanks again,did the blow out clips come with your new seals?:smile:

Is that the clip that is on the outside part of the A-pillar, attached to the gutter?

Yeah could be sounds like you just answered my question,so it is not part of the rubber at all its actually a part that screws into the rail itself.Merry xmas:smile: