So, why did you .........

Jerryl

Tall Unvaccinated Chinese Guy
Why did you decide to buy a TR out of all other cars?
I noticed that some have traded some fast "other" cars to own a TR.

Me? ............ My GF said it was her ultimate "dream car", so I thought; "Heck, it is not that expensive for a "dream car". So I got one (before I knew about these boards :mad: ).

My buddy bought one and I was amazed out how quick we got it with basically no mods...When it came time for me to buy a car to take to the track I knew what I needed.

My wife's cousin bought one brand new in 85.
Thought it was way cool.
Knew some day I could afford to buy one. :biggrin:
I've had some nice cars but the turbo Buicks are hard to beat.

My brother had one...

So, of course, I had to have one too. It was a gift to myself after saving for few years.

I was 13 in 1987 and my dad decided to go out and buy a Dodge Daytona turbo. I thought that was the coolest car in the world. It was the quickest car we had ever owned, and I loved the turbo sound and the boost gauge in the dash.

Then one evening my dad took me for a ride in his friends new Grand National. We went to the nearest highway where my dad stopped on the entrance ramp. He launched the car and I watched the digital dash light up like the 1/100th second hand on a stop watch! From that moment on I was hooked. I was already a car fanatic and I always liked the G bodies (at least the SS). When my Car and Driver subscription came and talked about the GN, it sealed the deal for me. I vowed I would own one someday.

My dad being the wise man (and policeman), he wouldn't let me buy anything fast when I got my license. I had to wait until I graduated from college and starting working before I could afford to buy a GN. My first GN was bought in 1999 with 5300 miles for $15,300. I thought the car was cool, but I was living in an apartment and I was parking the car in my parents driveway a few miles away. The arrangement wasn't doing it for me and I hated leaving the car outside (even with a good cover). In 2004 I bought my current GN with 4600 miles for $19,700. The car was perfect, but the headliner started to fall shortly after I got home (just the liner on the astroroof fell). I put a new headliner in the car, recharged the A/C, and spent a few hundred on getting it tuned properly (ended up buying a Scanmaster 2). Now I have a perfect like new GN that sits in my garage 95% of the time.

Once again, I am rethinking my decision to own a GN. I love showing off my car on REALLY nice weekends, but I wish I'd bought a higher mileage GN with upgrades. These cars have gone up to much in value to let a really good one get beaten up by the weather and rotten people in crowded parking lots.

Always wanted one since I was a teenager...finally was able to get mine just last year (I'm 32 now). Yes, good things come to those who wait. :)

I suppose I could've bought another "me too" car (Mustang, F body) but why be like everyone else. Plus nothing else commands respect like a GN. I even get props from the Honda guys.

Now I got the rest of my family hooked. My older brother is trying to find a GN. My 8 year old girl says she wants a black Turbo T, and my 10 year old son wants a white one. Gee, I wonder where they got that crazy idea from? :biggrin:

Well lets see:
1. Quicker than most on the street.
2. Quieter than stangs and f-bodys
3. Alot more comfortable than cars in #2
4. Well admired and feared on the street.
5. Not a big loss of money when sold if not modded too heavily.
6. Oh and after that first ride, women love it!(or fear it) :D

So, why did you .........
--------------------------------------------------
Why did you decide to buy a TR out of all other cars?
I noticed that some have traded some fast "other" cars to own a TR.
-------------------------------------------------
The 1st 4, mainly: 1: '86 grey solid roof T-Type, 2: '87 white solid roof Turbo-T, purchased when it had 10K miles on it, 3: '87 solid roof GN, 4: '87 white solid roof, & my current sled, 5: '87 white solid roof low option turbo-t, bought from original owner with 8.3K miles on it.
I have had 5 of these in a row, other than the '02 Z06 vette in my sig, which serves as a daily driver to keep the Buick nice and pristine.
No other car has ever stolen my heart the way these cars have.

I sold my 2002 WS6 M6 when I came to my senses over the payments and insurance. My brother owns an an 87 GN that was a recovered theft he bought from my uncle's salvage yard. Soon after I sold my WS6, my uncle called my brother and asked him if he was interested in a parts car. He didn't have room for another car in the driveway, so I bought it for $850. After an engine rebuild and some minor mods, it now it ran faster in the 1/4mile than my WS6 did. It's alot more fun for alot less money. :biggrin:

Owned a 66 Chevelle for almost 20 years. In it's final incarnation it had a blown 454 and was tubbed with a cage in it. Long story short - wife got pregnant and I didn't feel like gutting the interior to accomodate another passenger.

Also didn't feel like building another 60's/70's car and thought, what would still be fast and have creature comforts and still be something I could tweak to make it faster and look nice without dealing with bodywork, etc. 87 GN fit the bill and I bought one with 4700 miles on it 2 weeks after selling the Chevelle.

Well after 20 years of service in the Army, it was a gift to myself. I was able to attend some night school back in 1988 and an old retired Colonel had on. I fell in love. As stated above they were feared! I was one of those people. I have owned 3 GTOs, couple of Camaros and a TBIRD SC. So finally last summer I bought myself one and I can't stop buying stuff for it! :biggrin: Now my brother is buying one cause he has been driving mine while I have been in Germany. IT IS AN ADDICTION!

Well, I wanted a GN every since a family friend who is a well known Buick mechanic and owned a couple GNs convinced me to get one. He said I wont regret it, I ended up getting a 67 Buick Skylark convertible....rocked that for a while, someone hit me head on and I am supposed to be dead accordding to the doctors, I made it though the ordeal and with the insurance money I went and bought my T. Havent regretted it yet.

Seen a kid a school smoke the crap out of the tires. After that it was my dream car. Oh and nothing beats a turbo car either, nothing!

Buick guy from before black

I have a 70 GS455 that I bought in '85. Got that idea from the famous 'Buicks run like they're tied to a tree' Roy Badie. He got schooled by Richard Lassiter in Car Review magazine. Decided I needed one.

I got out of HS in '86 and wanted a T-Type something fierce but didn't have the dough. I used to troll the Buick dealers around the area pretty regular. I was fresh out of HS so I got bounced pretty quick.

Flunked out of College so I got a job. BB455 is not the hot ticket for a daily driver so I searched for a used T-Type. I ended up with a '84 T-Type. Got good mileage and cold air.

I was still trolling the area Buick dealers and came across a GN that was stripped down. Hadn't seen one with so few options so I decided I needed it. Came back to the dealer on Monday but the GN had been sold. Dealer had two T cars. One was a bench car, silver but was loaded up. I bought my WE4 because it was fairly sparsely optioned and stickered at only $16661.

Now I would like a fully optioned Limited and a GNX to complete my collection. Just waiting to hit the Lotto.

Rich

My girlfriend (at the time) and I were cruising around Hawaii. Saw an '85 GN and had no idea what they were. Researched the trash outta of on the internet and was hooked....sold it before deploying to Japan.
Fast foward to last year...the wife (same former girlfriend) says she misses the Buick and when I show interest...buys me the '87 Dark Metallic Red I currently own. I love the look of the GN's but I prefer the sleeper of the DMR. :)

After getting spanked by one with my camaro using 100 shot..... I knew I had to have one! The man in the GN was around 60+ yrs old too..... And the turbo is great too!

My dad bought an '84 new, traded it in for his current '87. The '87 is what I learned to drive in. I was hooked from the get go. The older I got, the more I read on turbo cars (especialy the TR's), the more I had to have one. Bought mine a year & half ago, it's been sitting for the last year. Love hate relation ship so far, love driving it, hate having it sit.

Vader87 what year SC did you have? I have 3.

I have wanted a GN ever since I was 16 and learned what they were. I'm 23 now. By this time next year I hope to have my own 87 GN.

when i was in highschool i used to sneak my brothers car to school. it was a 79 trans am, beatiful car. well, one of my good buddies also used to sneak his brothers car to school, guess what it was. yep a gn. well, back then i didnt even know what a gn was and i was swearin to my buddy that my brothers ta would smoke it. well guess what happened. thats right, the ta got an ass wooppin. a few years after i graduated i decided to get me a buick. well im 35 now and still got the buick. :D