So Slow.........

EdMacKenzie

Well, another disapointing weekend for me out the track. Last time I races I had poor number due to a bad turbo (so I thought) so I replaced the stock one with a TA-49. I have MSD #38, a Red Armstrong Chip, Cold Air, AFP regulator, bigger feul pump, 3000 stall converter, .425 lift cam, bored .20 over, 979 valve springs. I am runnning a mix of c12 and gas. I have my boost gauge showing 20 lbs of boost, with 21 lbs I get knock, my 02 V is at 780, which seems to be ok? ....

My best time with slicks was 14.8, 2.5 60 foot, for some reason I can't launch anymore then 7psi ... Im lost, why is this car sooooo slowwww!??! Any help would be good, I'm sure its something stupid, but I just don't have a clue! I have tomorrow left to race, so any suggestions I will try ANYTHING to make this car faster... it is driving me crazy...

Thanks..

That 60 ft is killing you. ET is a good measure of power AND traction. Your MPH will indicate if you're moving in the right direction is not. So what was your MPH this time out, and was it better then the last time?

Something bad wrong, you do not have power.
Your MPH will tell you how much power.
Post your other times & MPH.
Is the boost steady the whole one? ( I had a hole in my IC, and I would lose boost)
You sure knock is not pulling timing?
It would be great if you had Direct scan or Turbo-link so you could record your runs.

I'm crossing the line at 93 mph, and according to the snap on scanner, my spark is at 28 degrees at WOT, boost seems to be staying constant through the whole run...

I don't know why the 60 ' times are so high, last time i went out to the track my 60' times were 2.2, and I had 28 inch slicks on it, now I have 26's and a new turbo and I'm getting worse times, i didn't change anything but the amount of boost

I had a few runs and tried different boost levels, at 15 psi I ran 15.4 and with 20 psi i got 14.8..

I checked the IC, and i don't think there is any leaks in it...

Is there anything else I can try? I have 3 more runs tomorrow before the elimination starts...

In june, before the new turbo and the 38 lb injectors, my power was 260 rear wheel horsepower with 343 ft lbs of torque... not sure what it is now, no dyno..

Your way down on power.
You sure your not getting knock and it is pulling timing?

Does your car run good or does it miss?

Have you done a compression test?

You should be running around 105MPH in the 1/4.

Id bet ES1 is right on the nose. Your'e probably getting knock that you are not seeing and it is retarding your timing. i cant think of anything else, but you should be running way into the 12s, i have the same combo and ran a best of 12.35 on drag radials, not even slicks. check your fuel pressure as well. i think stock these cars have just at or above 260 RWHP, but i could be wrong.....

I didn't do a compression test, but I think that is next in order, according to the scan tool the timing is staying at 28 degrees my whole run...

I wish there was someone around me that knew about these cars, Im completely lost...

Where are you located?

Does the car run bad/ miss?

I would think the start would be a compression check.

correct chip for those injectors? what about your exhaust? my car is basically stock, however i picked up 5 10ths when i went to a test pipe and hooker system. that 93 at the end of the run indicates a real lack of power.......could it be a breathing problem ? You did not refer to exhaust in your post. You should still be well into the 13's even with a 2.2 60ft time. Actually, 60 ft time should be in the 1.8s with drag radials.

Your making less power than a stock car. Quit raciing it until you can find and fix your problems.

With that low of MPH - I'd start with a leakdown test. Then move to the valve springs.

If the cat was plugged - there is no way he'd see 20psi, even if he did it'd take the full 1/4 to get there.

Hows the car run and drive?

Jeremy

Well, I'm not running a CAT at all, its legal here in Nova Scotia to run without one, I am running open exhuast at the track

I don't have any exhaust leaks, I work at a muffler shop, exhaust leaks bother me.. haha..

Engine has about 7000 km on it now, as well as the trani...

I have the 979 valve springs in it... was new with the last rebuild..

I did notice however that the fins for my intercooler fan are all broken, must have happened and I didn't realize it... this could be causing a huge problem i would assume, its not getting cold air right?

Maybe my intercooler is plugged as well, I'm going to get it cleaned anyways...

The car out on the track will not launch anymore then 7psi for some reason, and the lag is horrible, on the street, it will hold 9 psi and then the tires will start to spin.. i don't get it! I wanna burn it.. haha

Oh yeah, I checked my spark advance today at WOT and it is at 28 degrees... so i think that is still ok?

If the chip you're useing has 28 deg. WOT timing you need to run straight C-16 or as close as you can get! It may be that you need to have less timing & fuel to help you spool up & launch better.

I recommend tuning the car in stages on some deserted street. Start with doing ONLY launches for about 100-150 ft or so. Build boost up then launch it for 100-150 ft and watch to see how fast it builds boost. It should build 20 psi of boost almost instantly when launching and if it's not then stop and try to figure out what it is. Check IAC, TPS, air filter (K&N?), check MAF numbers, fuel psi, etc.
Keep the tuning simple, it needs boost and fuel to make power and if it's not getting instant boost then the turbo is not spinning fast enough possibly do to a restriction going into the motor or going out or poor tune or KR. My guess is that you are getting a lot of knock and the meter is not seeing or recording it.
Again tune it for the first 100 ft for instant boost then worry about the rest of the run!

ks:cool:

28 degrees of timing is alot. Like has been said before chances are that you are getting timing retard. Disconnect your knock sensor and see what happens. Watch the o2's though. 93 mph is an indication that you are not making much power. Try leaning out you low end fuel by lowering the fuel pressure some to see if that aids in spooling and hence a better 60 ft time. Mario mgttype