So many questions with setup on new car

kolb02

I just bought an 86 T Type from a friend, car has been modded a lot. It ran 11.37@122 at 6500ft of DA at the track with a TH400 tranny ported heads, Rev X roller cam alky injection. Long story short is he thought he hurt the motor so he tore it down and lost interest. Fast forward t0 4 years later I bought the car and I just dropped the motor off to be gone through. I have some questions about the mods done the car. It has a MAF translator pro on it, which I kind of understand how it works but my buddy who I bought the car from said he has the translator cause he wanted to run speed density. Is that right? It also has a scanmaster on it. also I hear guys running EGT gauges for tuning purposes on these cars, whats wrong with running a wideband A/F gauge? That's what I use to tune my turbo mustang. Just trying to get an understanding of what I have and how it works. And if any of this stuff is good stuff to use or is it junk?

MAFT Pro can be a pretty good tool to run and tune with. It will allow speed density, but make sure the Intake Air Temp Sensor is mounted in the intake manifold or plenum and not in the inlet piping to the turbo. Most tune with a wideband. As such, the MAFT Pro is setup to work well with a wideband already. The MAFT Pro also has a logging ability through the TunerPro software to aid in tuning. You should pop the cover off the ECM while you are at it and see what chip is in the computer as some chips don't allow the timing functions from the PRO.

cool, I will check it out. so I don't need an MAF to run the car with the translator? Which is better MAF or using the translator?

If you have a good late model MAF I would say use it and have the MAFT pro in translator mode for the easiest setup with a car that has been sitting for so long. By definition the "translator" portion means it converts the signal from a newer model MAF to the older style signal our ECM needs to see. Since you have the MAFT Pro you can elect not to use a MAF and run in speed density mode if you don't already have a good late model MAF or if you just want to run SD.