So I was at a car show this weekend and need some thoughts

Toby_Goodmk

Test Fit officianto
So I attended a show this weekend which there were many GN's in my class. Me being the only hot air car present. Out of the 5 cars that were in my class I did not even place. Now.... I can understand some of the reasons why. I just finished the engine 8 hours before the show and did not have the opportunity to showcase the engine since it looks like crap. However....I may come across as confident, conceited, etc. but I had hands down for interior (lear siegler) brand new. Interior completely new. Paint looks great, no orange peal, car was clean. The car's stance was correct and low. It was even, GNX wheels etc.

I am not asking for a pitty party. I am looking for possible reasoning so I can eliminate the excuses why I did not place. I totally understand the engine is a crucial component and will be addressing with plenty of cleaning and upgrades with color, new accessories...etc.. I guess having a pretty chrome engine is more important that the entire presence of the car??

When I vote at a show, I will always judge higher for a clean engine and compartment, not nessassarily chrome either. I like to see some pride in the appearance of the "working part". Don't care too much for every piece chromed though. Don't feel bad. It's worse for T's. Everyone votes for the GNs.

i dont get any of the "DAAAAMS" without the hood open,and shes pretty clean on the exterior and interior.

I liked car shows but now just waste of time. Its all about the pocket book. To me most does not build there own but takes full credit for it. Where u put in the time and effort and does not show like some builds that a check got. It means more to me for a guy that built his own than one paid for but the judge does not see that or two days or longer of cleaning for a show . U get more complements at the gas stations.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I saw a video on youtube with like 30-40 Turbo buicks....every hood popped.......man its was like looking at the samething over and over again. There was 1 hot air car and It felt good to see it!

I can't wait to have my car done so I can at least go to shows with it.

I liked car shows but now just waste of time. Its all about the pocket book. To me most does not build there own but takes full credit for it. Where u put in the time and effort and does not show like some builds that a check got. It means more to me for a guy that built his own than one paid for but the judge does not see that or two days or longer of cleaning for a show . U get more complements at the gas stations.

I agree here. I never go to car shows because they cost money and you are stuck there based on some judge. I prefer cruise nights-come and go as you please and there are a lot fewer snobs around. My 2 cents.

I did build damn near 100% of my car. It does feel good to have that advantage. I have some tricks up my sleeve. We will see about the next show. Snobs...yes, cannot understand this. Most other shows I attend with olds guys are not like that. Reminds me of corvette guys...puke...

Ya there scared from the GN's in the past.

i was at a a cruise with almost 50 buicks, while there was no judging, my hot air gathered a lot of attention, comments, and compliments. At the local weekend gathering many enjoy seeing the one that is different. I would say continue with the details and enjoy. hot air cars are becoming more rare by the day

One interesting thing about a HOT AIR Car..... Most people under estimate them because their NOT a 86-87.... Every HOT AIR guy (Carb guys included) have something to prove. Close to 45000 intercooled cars vs 9500 non intercooled cars.. Even the HOT AIRS car that have a intercooler stick out like a SORE thumb. Went to a Car Show in Tuscaloosa with 3 of my friends with T Types. One had a Spearco set up, one with hidden NOS and last one had SMC alky and NOS. Show was at a park near Warrior River in Northport. 100 cars showed up. The 3 T Types had the largest crowds around them. Everyone ask where they factory or experimental cars. There were a couple of AZZ KLOWN's saying "They would be faster with 350 Cheby's in them"

On the way out of the park, we got called out by the lead AZZ KLOWN in Rustang... His crew claimed he had a low 11 car with GT40 intake, heads, cam and Vortech blower. All 3 T Types were 12 second cars (Spearco 12.10, NOS 12.18 and Alky/NOS 12.2). We found a long stretch of road on Hwy 43. The Rustang did a "John Force" burnout... The Alky/NOS T Type lined up. Out of the hole the Alky/NOS T Type put 2 cars on him and beat him by 1/2 car:p. Mad as Hell, he ask for a rematch.. His crew told him to pick another T Type. He picked the hidden NOS T Type (90hp NOS). Again he did another long Burnout. They lined up. The T Type left on the spray ahead of the Rustang. The Rustang missed 3rd:mad::confused::(... lost by 6 cars.... Mad as Hell, the Rustang kept going... His crew was stunned how fast the "Slow 84-85's" were..:hungover:...

I have seen this happen many many times to Eric at car shows......Eric has a super clean car and he wouldn't place ....his car stands as tall as mine and I have taken place where he has not...

But this same thing happens to me and other gns when there comes in a cloned gnx and shitty clone at that but guess who takes the place.....

So it happens to all of us.......

Let me guess it was a peoples choice awarding

Bingo....

Its that pride in knowing you have touched every part....

Built not bought.......

I also like to see a really high mileage whatever at car show with some battle scars that still look kick ass. This tells me the owner takes care of it and still enjoys it... It not easy to that imo .

It much easier to buy a car let it sit and keep the miles off of it and keep it for show only...but what's the fun in that..

"Let me guess it was a peoples choice awarding"

funny that you quote this but it was a participants choice awarding. Would rather have professional judging

I feel your pain. At a recent Good Guys show a very detailed and clean but very fake GSX won an award from a vendor category. What really cheesed me off was that the owner shows this car and tells everyone its real and never lets on that its a clone. The award was obviously not made by a knowlledgable judge as the trim tag on the car was mysteriously missing ( that way the interior trim and the QQ paint could not be verified.) I talked to the clown a few years ago at a local cruise and got the whole build story and its a rebodied skylark custom clone that he bought from a shady entity off the internet. I hate phonies. "tribute" cars are great to own and show but don't tell people they are something they are not.

For the majority of shows and cruises I've gone to, most people come by and gawk at the Buick as I'm usually 1 of 1, maybe there's a another one floating around. But it seems to me that most of the "car show" guys only consider it to be an old regal. If it's not an old camaro, mustang or mopar, it's not good enough... Oddly, it seems that new cars are also allowed to be in these shows... Who the heck wants to see the new cars? I can go to the dealership for that!

if you're doing it for the trophies, then you are doing it for the wrong reasons..
buy a 69 Camaro and you will get a room full of trophies.

If you're serious about the car shows then ask for the score sheets.

when I take my GS 455 its always a 1 of 1 and it gets lots of looks but the paints a little old and its driven too much and not clean enough to ever get a trophy, but I could care less. I'm not in it to get a trophy. I'm in it cause I enjoy looking at what everyone else brought. Strangely there's usually a good showing of TR's , again, mine is driven to much and is not as nice as the others there so hats off to them for their efforts. I'm there for a good time, no time for the detailing and anal preparations needed to get the trophy, but no disrespect to those that put together a flawless gem. My Buicks get driven hard and put away wet and have shuttled kids, groceries, do hauled commuting duty, baseball team gear and have given me many a memory.

Went to our local show today no gn's or t's out of 200 cars lots of brand new vetts and mustangs and typical old hot rods and so on.

I saw a video on youtube with like 30-40 Turbo buicks....every hood popped.......man its was like looking at the samething over and over again. There was 1 hot air car and It felt good to see it!

I can't wait to have my car done so I can at least go to shows with it.
Yep...They all look alike. It takes some imagination to set your car apart from the others. I was at the Salem Super Cruise a few weeks ago. There were 2 other GN's parked down a few spots from me. I have aftermarket billet wheels, and they had stock rims. They were all stock under the hood, and not detailed very well. I cleaned my entire car before I opened the hood. After I did...I could not get near it to even wipe it off. The other cars had better paint, but we all had nice interiors. It was all about the engine compartment.
I'm going to a show in Sept that pays $500 for Best of Show...we will see if the engine compartment can carry me even though I have badly checked paint.
It's not always about the $$$ invested, its about where the $$$ was spent under the hood. I have never detailed a Hot Air, but I would like to help.